Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My 5 year old will not behave in school... HELP

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

The past 3 days I've gotten awful reports of my daughter misbehaving in school. She hits her friends, doesn't listen to her teachers, says no, etc. I've taken away everything: leap pad, tv, dessert, playground time. I don't know what else to do. Anyone have any ideas?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Have you talked to her about it to figure out why she is doing these things?

MommyCrooks
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

My son is 5 years old, hes actually very polite and listens very well. I talk to him in a serious tone, of things we do not do and what is nice or bad.. Talk to your daughter and let her know hitting is bad and how would she feel if someone was to hit her, and if someone was to hit her to tell you or a teacher, so you can correct them.. Does she act out at home too?  Let her know that she cant act like that at school, I give my son warnings, i will spank him (which i never really do, but i will if he doesnt change his attitude) or i will send him to bed early, or to his room to sit on his bed to think about what he has done, until he is sorry and understands he can not do whatever it is he is doing. it was a good idea to take her things away, hopefully she understands why you did it and what she needs to do to get them back, i would have her appologize to the teacher and students she hit.. good luck,

marissabrookee
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM
yeah she barely acts out at home that's the issue... so I'm trying to figure out how to handle the school situation. thanks for the advice!

Quoting MommyCrooks:

My son is 5 years old, hes actually very polite and listens very well. I talk to him in a serious tone, of things we do not do and what is nice or bad.. Talk to your daughter and let her know hitting is bad and how would she feel if someone was to hit her, and if someone was to hit her to tell you or a teacher, so you can correct them.. Does she act out at home too?  Let her know that she cant act like that at school, I give my son warnings, i will spank him (which i never really do, but i will if he doesnt change his attitude) or i will send him to bed early, or to his room to sit on his bed to think about what he has done, until he is sorry and understands he can not do whatever it is he is doing. it was a good idea to take her things away, hopefully she understands why you did it and what she needs to do to get them back, i would have her appologize to the teacher and students she hit.. good luck,

TempestRayne
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Maybe and earlier bed time? Is she having a tough time in school? Maybe she is just bored. Or tired. Are you sure her "friends" aren't baiting her to try to get her into trouble? It may not be an excuse, but each person has their limit, and kids tend to have a lower threshold than adults. Also, are there any stressors at home?
bomb-diggity2
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Ive been having the same problem with my dd too. Minus the hitting. Ive grounded her taken stuff away and nothing worked til her Grandma made a deal with her(they are really close)the deal was if she didn't get in trouble for a whole week at school she could go to grandmas for the weekend and grandma would buy her a beta fish. We are on the last two days of the week with no problems at school... ik it sounds like a bribe but nothing else worked.
sweeteysmc
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I would try to see how the teacher is handling it or even come to school and watch from the hallway where she cant see you sometimes if you see what environmental factors are involved you can come up with something with the teacher to curb the behavior like move her to a differant table with kids she doesnt feel so tempted to talk to

oscarsmom70
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM

This is tough, especially if you are not seeing the same behavior issues at home.  I checked out the website where I work and we have an article that offers some suggestions for parents who are struggling with similar challenges.  Here is the link - I hope it helps!  http://bit.ly/163qbux

marissabrookee
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
thank you!

Quoting oscarsmom70:

This is tough, especially if you are not seeing the same behavior issues at home.  I checked out the website where I work and we have an article that offers some suggestions for parents who are struggling with similar challenges.  Here is the link - I hope it helps!  http://bit.ly/163qbux

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)