Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you judge a mom if a toddler's too skinny/fat?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 50 Replies

Hayden is 18mos but in 9mos size clothes and whenever we go out people ask me if I ever feed her? When you go out and see a toddler who's either too fat or too thin, do you feel like the mom's a bad mom?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on May. 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. My son is 5 years old (he'll be 6 in august) and weighs 31lbs. He still wear 3t shirts and I have to buy 4t pants for the length and take them in at the waist. He was a preemie and is still just on the small side. He's healthy and happy. I won't judge like that without knowing if there is a reason behind it. 

MzShorty787
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I've never had anyone tell me that but they always comment on hoe tiny he his. My son is almost 2, he will b 2 in July, and he's in 12 month clothes
Cdaly12491
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Not necessarily. Some kids are just small. My daughter is only 25th percentile for weight & 75th for height. She was born at 6lbs 4oz and 21 1/2 inches long. She's been that way since she was born.

Now.

I can't say that I never judge.

I work at McDonald's. 
Every day, I see these morbidly obese people coming in and bringing their kids.

They eat there at least 4-5 times a week. Sometimes twice a day.

They are obese. Their kids are obese. That is ridiculous!!! 

Quoting PINKmyfavcolor:

Hayden is 18mos but in 9mos size clothes and whenever we go out people ask me if I ever feed her? When you go out and see a toddler who's either too fat or too thin, do you feel like the mom's a bad mom?

KristenFowles
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

No. 

My kids are all different...

My oldest is thin but stocky.. he's really heavy even though he appears thin..

My 5 year old girl is a waft.  Up until 4 years old she was in the 90th percentile for height.. at 5 she dropped to the 50th percentile for height.. she's light as air.. 

And my 17 month old.. she's chunky, and stocky like my son.  They're all fed the same.  They have a very healthy balanced diet. 

PeaceMuch
by Kali on May. 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Nope.
pmsforlife
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I going to.hell for saying this but yea. I see overweight moms with like 3 really overweight kids. But I shouldnt judge because I don't know the situation. And my kids are Asians so they are super skinny I bet ppl judge me too :(
AMR320
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Not about skinny kids because mine are skinny Minnie's but when I see overweight kids eating junk I do feel bad for the kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kazmira222
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Not so much, my son is 4 months and he weighs nearly 20 lbs already :O I feel that's a bit much, but he's a long and big boy lol I know an almost 4 yo and he's 60 lbs!! But he doesn't look fat at all. I say pick your battles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Not usually unless the kid is like 3 times the size he or she should be and the mother is feeding him or her nothing but junk food. I've only seen one parent do that and it was on a reality show. But you never know what medical problems they may have or maybe super high metabolism so it may not be there fault. I believe the same with adults.
GirlWSemiAuto
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I've yet to see a toddler (outside the Maury show) that was large enough or small enough that I judged the parent. Most kids aren't extreme enough that I would wonder if there was some neglect at home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)