Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My MIL says she will own me...

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 34 Replies
We were at my MILs for dinner with the whole family and we were talking about our wedding this August... Then out of no where my MIL says "Once you two are married I will own you. I own my children and ill own you too." Um wtf? So I said to her "I do believe I am a person, not a possession. My mother birthed me and she doesn't own me... I am her child and a gift. And I have two children... I don't own them, I am their mother. I am not a piece of furniture you bought at a yard sale." Then she says to me " You know what I'm saying... Once you have the last name I will own you." So I said to her about being married into the name and her maiden name is whatever. But she keeps insisting that she is going to own me. Every time I challenge her about it she just says " I'll kick your ass" or " Don't make me get up". Her and I have always had a good relationship and have gotten along extremely well. Idk wtf happen but she flipped the crazy bitch switch and ran with it. But this whole thing is making me think about calling off the wedding. I love my fiancé and I want to marry him but this "ownership issue" has me extremely pissed off. It seems like no matter what I say to this woman... She keeps insisting on "owning" me.

My fiancé and I have been together for 6 years and we have two beautiful girls together. I've never had a real problem with his mom before but this just crosses the line in my book. So what to do now????
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeforchrist
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

tell your fiance to have a chat with his mom about what is an acceptable way to treat his soon to be wife, or you guys will not be visiting!

leanntx
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM
You are marrying your DF, not his mother. Obviously, you will not be "owned" by anyone. Explain everything to your DF, if the two of you can't come to an understanding, then postpone the wedding, don't cancel yet, postponing everything may get his and her attention. This is definitely something that needs to be settled.
TempestRayne
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Quoting leanntx:

You are marrying your DF, not his mother. Obviously, you will not be "owned" by anyone. Explain everything to your DF, if the two of you can't come to an understanding, then postpone the wedding, don't cancel yet, postponing everything may get his and her attention. This is definitely something that needs to be settled.

threat
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Stand your ground regardless of her threats sit you man down along with his mom and tell her straight out that you will never be her property and she can not and will not even try to control you and if she doesn't like that then tell her not to come around you or your family until sage realizes that you are not to be owned. I know it seems harsh but if she wants to be around your family then she will change the way she treats you.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I wouldn't call off the wedding but I would continue to correct her everytime she says anything about owning you. She sounds a little crazy, but you are marrying her son not her.

mawith2
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Yikes. I lucked out with my mil she's quiet and terrified of her own shadow she'd never try anything like that with me. I hope you're able to find a solution.
villagemamma
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Most mother in laws are crazy. let her say what she wants. it doesnt change anything. She obviously doesnt own you. As long as your DF isnt acting like a nut then nothing should change.

katieGrace
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM
It sound like a joke.
amycrow0949
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I wouldnt not marry you df but id just ignore her she can say she owns you all she wants but we all know shes being psyco. If she says shes going to kick your ass or she hits you get a restraininh order on her crazy butt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Missy_diane408
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM

i agree. you are marrying him not his mom and no matter what no one owns anyone. you are free to be your own person. and i think all of you should sit down and talk about what is happening because they should know where you stand. i am big on being my own person and not letting anyone think i am a object to be owned.

Quoting leanntx:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN