Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My MIL says she will own me...

Posted by   + Show Post
We were at my MILs for dinner with the whole family and we were talking about our wedding this August... Then out of no where my MIL says "Once you two are married I will own you. I own my children and ill own you too." Um wtf? So I said to her "I do believe I am a person, not a possession. My mother birthed me and she doesn't own me... I am her child and a gift. And I have two children... I don't own them, I am their mother. I am not a piece of furniture you bought at a yard sale." Then she says to me " You know what I'm saying... Once you have the last name I will own you." So I said to her about being married into the name and her maiden name is whatever. But she keeps insisting that she is going to own me. Every time I challenge her about it she just says " I'll kick your ass" or " Don't make me get up". Her and I have always had a good relationship and have gotten along extremely well. Idk wtf happen but she flipped the crazy bitch switch and ran with it. But this whole thing is making me think about calling off the wedding. I love my fiancé and I want to marry him but this "ownership issue" has me extremely pissed off. It seems like no matter what I say to this woman... She keeps insisting on "owning" me.

My fiancé and I have been together for 6 years and we have two beautiful girls together. I've never had a real problem with his mom before but this just crosses the line in my book. So what to do now????
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
-42-
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I'd start sending her bills for things then....as well as tell her she needs to pay for my insurance and such, since it's her responsibility to provide coverage for her property.
sweeteysmc
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM

i would tell this lunatic that the joke was funny the first time and now its just annoying and if she insist on continueing her new career as a comedian then your family will go to dinner elsewhere or not visit

bellawomen
by Summer on May. 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Your fiance needs to put her in her place!!!

KimTaylor76
by on May. 2, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I doubt shes going to actually try to do anything, its probably just something she says as a family joke or something. My in laws have dumb things like that and i just play along because at the end of the day Im married to the man i want to be with and I will put up with the crazy in law crap for him.
JacksMom1221
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Tell her you already belong to the Devil, and that's signed in stone. Sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I wouldn't let something like that come between you and your fiance. You are marrying him, not his mom. If she keeps acting this way, talk to your fiance or just stop spending time around your MIL if possible. 

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Tell her, your not changing your name, DF is... Watch that smug look disappear, but warn DF first, so he can back you up.. Lol.. Or atleast not look surprised by it
Basherte
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Tell your fiancee how you feel. Find out what he thinks of this. Was he there during that meal? What did he say then about it?

CafeMom Tickers
bomb-diggity2
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM

You're marrying her son not her! What a witch! No one can or will ever own you, that is so disrespectful. I would have a talk with your fiance and tell him he needs to talk to his mother. That is unacceptable. But do not cancel the wedding if need be just postpone it. Maybe it will spark something in them...

Aoliveras4
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Just get married.  At the end of the day she doesnt own you.  You do whatever you want and she will see that she is crazy for saying she will own you now.  If you allow her to ruin the wedding she is doing a great job pissing you off. So dont let her get to you just laugh at her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)