Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My MIL says she will own me...

Posted by   + Show Post
We were at my MILs for dinner with the whole family and we were talking about our wedding this August... Then out of no where my MIL says "Once you two are married I will own you. I own my children and ill own you too." Um wtf? So I said to her "I do believe I am a person, not a possession. My mother birthed me and she doesn't own me... I am her child and a gift. And I have two children... I don't own them, I am their mother. I am not a piece of furniture you bought at a yard sale." Then she says to me " You know what I'm saying... Once you have the last name I will own you." So I said to her about being married into the name and her maiden name is whatever. But she keeps insisting that she is going to own me. Every time I challenge her about it she just says " I'll kick your ass" or " Don't make me get up". Her and I have always had a good relationship and have gotten along extremely well. Idk wtf happen but she flipped the crazy bitch switch and ran with it. But this whole thing is making me think about calling off the wedding. I love my fiancé and I want to marry him but this "ownership issue" has me extremely pissed off. It seems like no matter what I say to this woman... She keeps insisting on "owning" me.

My fiancé and I have been together for 6 years and we have two beautiful girls together. I've never had a real problem with his mom before but this just crosses the line in my book. So what to do now????
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
Nicoles2LilRams
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I think you're reading too much into it... she says she owns all of her children, I take it as a way of her saying that she will love you like one of hers...

I understand that it's annoying, my MIL says stupid shit like that too, but I don't take offense to it because I DO know what she means

da808gypsy
by on May. 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM

she's a crazy old lady. I wouldn't take her words any more serious than I'd take my little nephew's goo-goo-gaagaa gibberish. 

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on May. 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Exactly.

Why on earth would you want to marry a BOY who doesn't do anything when his mother says she will "kick your ass"?!?

Yeah,
You picked a real winner, there...smh...

Quoting lifeforchrist:

tell your fiance to have a chat with his mom about what is an acceptable way to treat his soon to be wife, or you guys will not be visiting!

ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

you are not a slave, you are not a peice of cheese she bought at the store, she wont own you when you are both married and if she tries.....well.....theres always police, pressing charges and court. she obviously has a stick up her anus and a bit of an ego about everything, let her think what she wants, nod your head and think to yourself 'ok crazy lady, whatever, just take your meds'

beckka1989
by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

If she's going to be that way, and disrespect you then you will have to cut her off until she's ready to apologize. and not act like a child. - I have expeirence with this..

JNLmomme09
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Sounds like a threat
Frannylove12
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Dont call off the wedding, you nedver know maybe this could be a tactic for her to stop you two from getting married. Your fiance should talk to his mom and let her know that she cannot cross those lines with you, and that it was inapproriate.......i have a question, none of her kids stood up for themselves??? 

6under1roof
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM

I'd let me fiance know that she was dis-invited from the wedding, and I wouldn't be visiting her anymore. If he wanted to see his mama he could, but I wouldn't be coming along. And she wouldn't be welcome in our home.

headingsouth13
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

she sounds like a loon. it needs to be settled before you get married

NannaBanana1983
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Put your feet down!!! Do not let this junk carry on or she will always be a bitch!! Make your fiancée stand up for you or re consider marrying him. I'm serious. In laws cause a lot of issues if their child doesn't stand up for their spouse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN