Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

pigeon toed?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 10 Replies
Ok so my 19 month old son seems to have a slight curvature in his left foot. It doesn't seem to bother him. He never grabs it or gives me any idea it hurts him. I never noticed it when he first started walking but i do now. Nobody else seems to really notice it. Its only noticeable when he walks or runs but when he stands still it straightens out. We went to a really nice shoe place and got him in the right size shoe which is 7 1/2 wide. It seems to help but im concerned. Have any of u gone through this or noticed this with ur child? Could it correct itself? Is there anything i could do to help it? Is it common in young children? Like i said it doesn't seem to affect him or his walking. Any advice would be nice thank u.
by on May. 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Talk to his doctor to determine if he is truely pigeon toed and what would need to be done for it.

erin708
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM
I just started taking my almost 7 yo dd to the chiropractor for bedwetting issues. He said she's pigeon toed. I've never notived nor her ped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bloom4ever
by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I was pigeon toed as a kid...both my feet turned inwards and I'd stumble over em when walking...I didn't run cuz I'd end up falling and hurting myself (this all came from my parents...I don't remember it) I was taken to the doctor and put in corrective shoes...I wore those shoes (in bigger sizes as needed) until I was 3 (I walked at 13months old) and that was what corrected my pigeon toed-ness...but still I'll notice if I'm standing sometimes my toes will point inwards...I just make it a point to straighten them out...

so I'd take him to the doctor and go from there if he truely is pigeon toed he'll most likely need corrective shoes to help with it...my oldest daughter had a slight pointed inward to her 1 foot when younger and her doctor looked at it and said "let's watch it and see what happens" since it wasn't effecting her walking/running at all...she ended up growing out of it by the time she was 2yrs old but if it had gotten any worse (or been both feet) she'd've been put in corrective shoes...

kaiti_G
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Quoting Bloom4ever:

I was pigeon toed as a kid...both my feet turned inwards and I'd stumble over em when walking...I didn't run cuz I'd end up falling and hurting myself (this all came from my parents...I don't remember it) I was taken to the doctor and put in corrective shoes...I wore those shoes (in bigger sizes as needed) until I was 3 (I walked at 13months old) and that was what corrected my pigeon toed-ness...but still I'll notice if I'm standing sometimes my toes will point inwards...I just make it a point to straighten them out...

so I'd take him to the doctor and go from there if he truely is pigeon toed he'll most likely need corrective shoes to help with it...my oldest daughter had a slight pointed inward to her 1 foot when younger and her doctor looked at it and said "let's watch it and see what happens" since it wasn't effecting her walking/running at all...she ended up growing out of it by the time she was 2yrs old but if it had gotten any worse (or been both feet) she'd've been put in corrective shoes...

Ok thank u for that. Im glad to hear corrective shoes helped with that!! Most people said its not unlikely for a kid to have that and grow out of it,so I've heard. I just found out i did it too until i was 3 then grew out of it. Im hopeing the same for him. I should bring it up to the pediatrician tho....thank u for ur input!!
kaiti_G
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Quoting erin708:

I just started taking my almost 7 yo dd to the chiropractor for bedwetting issues. He said she's pigeon toed. I've never notived nor her ped.

Wow really? And its not noticeable? Did they tell u to do anything about it?
Bloom4ever
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

some kids do outgrow it...if it were tripping him like mine did he'd probably end up in the corrective shoes like I did...where for my oldest it didn't effect her as badly as it did me so corrective shoes weren't needed...but if she hadn't grown out of it she'd've needed them...

Quoting kaiti_G:

Quoting Bloom4ever:

Ok thank u for that. Im glad to hear corrective shoes helped with that!! Most people said its not unlikely for a kid to have that and grow out of it,so I've heard. I just found out i did it too until i was 3 then grew out of it. Im hopeing the same for him. I should bring it up to the pediatrician tho....thank u for ur input!!

~Betsy~

tiredme
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I have been worried about my dd's feet and have asked her doc several times (she's 2).  The doc  said that childrens feet and legs will do some funny things as they grow but most likely things will correct themselves.  She said that no one will touch a child for that type of issue until they are 4.  As long as he isn't bothered by it the docs will likely tell you to wait and see.  If you are worried I would bring it up at his next check up.

MrsParvi
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:21 AM
I am pigeon toed. It's very obvious too. My 4 year old is pigeon toed and hers is even more obvious than mine. It's never effected me negatively though.
kaiti_G
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Quoting tiredme:

I have been worried about my dd's feet and have asked her doc several times (she's 2).  The doc  said that childrens feet and legs will do some funny things as they grow but most likely things will correct themselves.  She said that no one will touch a child for that type of issue until they are 4.  As long as he isn't bothered by it the docs will likely tell you to wait and see.  If you are worried I would bring it up at his next check up.

Thank u for your comment. I am going through the same thing right now i have heard that it is common for babies to walk like that when they are growing. I probably will bring it up at the next doc appt tho....
kaiti_G
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Quoting MrsParvi:

I am pigeon toed. It's very obvious too. My 4 year old is pigeon toed and hers is even more obvious than mine. It's never effected me negatively though.

That's good it never affected u negatively. I really didn't know much about pigeon toes until i seen his feet do that. I just was worried because it came outta nowhere and i don't want it to affect him. Pigeon toes sounds like its a genetic thing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN