Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

how do i get my 3 and a half yr old ds over his fear of getting his hair washed?!

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 12 Replies
Its getting to the point to where i dont want to bathe him! I tried the special cup that u put on their forehead and it doesnt get water in their face, but ds is still so terrified of water being on his head that he wont sit still for that :/ tonight i tried having him hold a wash rag on his face and he refused to and kept screaming at me telling me he doesnt want his hair washed! I mean it literally sounds like im hurting him! It breaks my heart :( one time last year he came bk from bd and had lice!!! So i had to do the treatment and had to force him to lay down in the tub and used the shower head on his hair. He was screaming so much and BEGGING me to stop! He calmed down when he realized i wasnt getting water in his face :'( any suggestions?!
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I really don't know other than to keep trying :/. My daughter is only 8 months so I haven't dealt with this yet.
goddiddlyumshis
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM
My 5 year old is that way(he's also autistic, though) i bought swimming goggles so his eyes are completely covered! try that :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candace8609
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Havnt even thought of that!!! Good idea :)

Quoting goddiddlyumshis:

My 5 year old is that way(he's also autistic, though) i bought swimming goggles so his eyes are completely covered! try that :)
cassiesarcher
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

My 3 year old does not like water on his head either.  I just do it as fast as possible, have him cover his face with a clean washcloth, and rinse the shampoo out.  It takes about 1 minute to  do it.  I then let him dry his eyes with a clean towel (his eyes are very sensitive) and that helps us out.  After the hair washing is over, he plays and has fun. Good luck!  :)

CheyennesMommy2
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Im glad I saw this...i was wondering if I was alone on this. My 3 1/2 yr old dd FLIPS everytime. I luckily, for now only have to wash it 3x a week. But school starts in the fall so it will need to be more..its not a fun process.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Try letting him dump water on his head. My oldest HATED getting her hair wet when she was younger, I bought her a toy watering can and let her wet her own hair. It seemed to help and over time she has gotten over the fear. At 8 now she still tries to not wash her hair though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candace8609
by on May. 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM
I tried the wash rag thing acouple times but he refuses to even try it bc he gets so upset when i ask him cause he knows whats comming :(

Quoting cassiesarcher:

My 3 year old does not like water on his head either.  I just do it as fast as possible, have him cover his face with a clean washcloth, and rinse the shampoo out.  It takes about 1 minute to  do it.  I then let him dry his eyes with a clean towel (his eyes are very sensitive) and that helps us out.  After the hair washing is over, he plays and has fun. Good luck!  :)

TempestRayne
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Keep his head shaved. No hair=no hair washing.
Emily123456
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM
My dd is 11/2 and she was like that but about 2 mth ago I stared telling her look at the sky and I'd ask what do u see and it works for us
refogel
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM
My dd was like that. I got in the tub with her and let her wash my hair and showed her how to spike it up so she wanted hers like that. We brought a mirror into the tub so she could see.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN