Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Those that use pacifiers...

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM
  • 109 Replies

What age did you take it away from your child? Or did they just give it up by themselves? Dd takes one and she will be 9 months old this month. I'm thinking taking it away at one but she hasn't found a sippy cup that she likes yet so I don't want to take it away before the bottles are taken away either and then she get stuck on them.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
I am a FF, pro BF, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Mine were both around 2 1/2 when they gave it up.

cnlsmommy
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Dd1 was never really attached to it and gave it up around 1 on her own. We just kinda stopped giving it. I don't even recall exactly how or when it happened because it wasn't even a big deal. So far dd2 isn't really attached either, she is 6 weeks old.
cnlsmommy
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Oh, and I really consider bottle and pacifiers two separate things, so I wouldn't worry about te sippy cup r/t the pacifier. I would just start weaning it out. Does she use it while she is up and playing? If so, I would cut that first and only use for naps and bed, but it's one of my pet peeves, lol! I personally think pacifiers are for soothing, and typically kids don't need soothing while they are up playing.
1st_time_mom789
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM

BUMP. DD is still heavily attatched to hers. We are hoping she will give it up by the summer but if not then I guess we will be taking it away cold turkey.

MrsLondon
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

DD1 got hers taken away at 2. DD2 never liked them to begin with but she was hooked on the bottle. She got that completely taken away a little after 1.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
We usually take them away at about 18mos if they haven't given it up on their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlb456
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Ds was 9months and dd was 13months. i can not stand seeing kids who can walk n talk with binkis in their mouths!
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Yeah she mainly only uses it when she has naps or bedtime, and really has always been the only reason she's had it since she was born. I can't stand when kids just have it to have it either or still have it at like 5 years old.

Quoting cnlsmommy:

Oh, and I really consider bottle and pacifiers two separate things, so I wouldn't worry about te sippy cup r/t the pacifier. I would just start weaning it out. Does she use it while she is up and playing? If so, I would cut that first and only use for naps and bed, but it's one of my pet peeves, lol! I personally think pacifiers are for soothing, and typically kids don't need soothing while they are up playing.

I am a FF, pro BF, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM

How old is she? My niece is 2 1/2 and still attached to hers too. Kinda surprised SIL hasn't taken it away yet. This girl seriously has a meltdown anytime she doesn't have one during the day. It's bad.

Quoting 1st_time_mom789:

BUMP. DD is still heavily attatched to hers. We are hoping she will give it up by the summer but if not then I guess we will be taking it away cold turkey.

MamaCryss20112
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Ds1 with his sippy cup, i bought one that had a tip that was soft like his paciband bottle. One day i tried it out but i still kept the bottle. He liked it so i threw the bottlss away. This was two wks before his 1st birthday.

With the paci, he is 18 months now, up until recently he has been off the paci. He had two. I told myself if he lost them or broke them that was it. Well he lost both. And i was flipping out trying to find it.i was nervous but he did well. Oh, and a week later i found both of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN