Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

im too young to know how to raise a child?? im 23!!

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 40 Replies

So here is the problem, I have a 5, soon to be 6 year old in October, as a step son. My husband and I have had custody of him since he was 1! My big issue with children/parents, and please dont take offense to this, is carseats. My 5 1/2 yr old stepson weighs a wopping 40lbs soaking wet!! I still have him in a 5 point harness carseat. He fits really nice in there. He cant turn around, and he cant stretch the seatbelt all different ways. It goes one way and thats it and that is the way you gotta sit... So here is the problem, Im at the grocery store today when this lady goes to me, your boys are adorable, as i was putting my 20 mnth old into his carseat. I told her thank you, closed his door and went around to the other side, closed the door, (since he can buckle himself) and went to get into the driver side. This lady said, arent you going to buckle him.. I told her no he is 5 years old and can do it herself. just then my step son opened his window and said hi im joey....  the look on her face was like someone just killed something in front of her.... she freaked out telling me that 20 year olds shouldnt have kids because they dont even know the proper carseats to put their children in.... Im 23 i think i can handle it....  

but what does everyone else think??

he is 40 lbs and 3 feet tall....  he does meet requirements for the booster, but he never sits right...i dont want joey to feel stupid once he starts school for still being in a 5 point harness carseat once everyone else is in a booster... am i being over protective??  should i try the booster??  my carseat does turn into one, i just have to take the straps off...

ughhh.... answers would be very helpful!!

im stuck

thanks

kim

by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unspecified42
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM
My son stayed in a 5 point harness seat until he turned 8 and simply couldn't safely fit. It's always safer than a regular seatbelt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocrobin90
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM
3 moms liked this

In my point of view, u are the mother. If u feel right to leave him in a five point harness then leave him in it. There will always be some person out there that thinks they can tell u how to raise ur child. It agrivates me when ppl do that.

desisue0131
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Keep the harness
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2b8222011
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM

it sure does, im just hoping i do the right thing, i dont want him to be made fun of when he starts kindergarten that his mommy still makes him sit in a 5 point harness carseat :(

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Keep him in a harness for as long as you can.   Who cares how the other children ride?  My stepbrother has his children out of boosters and one is just turning 4.  I told mom that is illegal and jasmine will requires a booster until she is at the height/weight required, not age.

his88angel
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM
How are kids going to find out what kind of carseat he sits in? My son is 4 and he buckles himself up of course once i get in i always check to make sure everything is right. Should have told that woman to shut up and mind her own business. I am 24 but look like i am 18 the comments i get can be so rude.
erin708
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM
My ydd will be like that. She's almost four and weighs 28lbs. She's gonna be in it til she's 10. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaiZobug
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I know my daughter is going to need a 5 point harness for a while because she is tiny. I hate it when people do that. Try and tell me what is safe for my child and what's not. Your just fine. 

ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Kids do not care about car seats. My 8 1/2 year old is still in a booster and she could care less. She went on a GS trip and was one of two who was still in a car seat, but it didn't bother her. She knows she is safer like that. Just tell him how important car seats are.

Quoting mama2b8222011:

it sure does, im just hoping i do the right thing, i dont want him to be made fun of when he starts kindergarten that his mommy still makes him sit in a 5 point harness carseat :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Keep the harness, it is much safer and that lady is an idiot. I seriously doubt she knows much about carseat safety, because anyone who does knows that the harness is always safer. I think you are doing a great job. Put him in the booster when you feel comfortable and when he is able to sit right in one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)