Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'Well, that was awkward and horrifying. and a little heart breaking.

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM
  • 6 Replies
For the past year, I have baby sat a little girl. She is now almost 19 months old. I also work for her mom at night as a janitor, while my husband watches her. To explain that, this little girl is my stepdaughter's younger sister. Her mom is my husband's ex. He doesn't charge for watching the girls at night (duh, why would he?) For a while, she has been calling me mommy, and I have been correcting her, "I am Donna, sweetie". We figure she calls me mommie because I have four children of my own and she hears them calling me mommie all the time. Anyway, the girls being here at night has been going on for a while, and their mom finally decided enough was enough and hired on someone else to do the work so that she could be home with the girls. Unfortunately, tonight, that person had to call out, so dh's exam worked with me. I got back to my house before she did and the little girl was having a fit, so I picked her up. A few minutes later, her mom gets here and I hand her over. After a couple of minutes, she fights for her mom to put her down, and what does she do? Comes up to me crying and asks to be picked up. I backed right the heck up and felt absolutely horrified. He mom was so upset, and I don't blame her one bit. I would have been heart broken, and my heart sure does hurt for her.
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Nicoles2LilRams
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Aww little kids do that though..you could have been any other baby sitter, daycare provide or relative. they can be fickle with their affections and it doesn't mean she loves you more or vice versa. In a month she might want nothing to do with you and prefer her mom over everyone else, in a month more, her dad...
I'm sure her mom knows this, since it's not her first kid. I hope she's reasonable and doesn't hold it against you though, because even if rationally she knows it doesn't mean anything specifically, its still hurtful
ShelMama
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:32 AM
:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rach0307
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM
That happens :( She's so young and just starting to create bonds with people without being able to distinguish between the different types of bonds. I'm sure her mom understands, but a moment like that would be upsetting for a parent regardless. My son reacted like that toward DH until he was over 2 years old because he wasn't around much (military). Now he can't get enough of him, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cLanief
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Eh my daughter is like that with a friend of mine and we only see her once a month if we're lucky. It should be ok.
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Awww, I would have been upset too :/. What an awkward situation to be in. Was her mom mad at you?

xomrs.chase
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Kids. They'll break your heart. Lol

I went to hug ds this morning. He said "all done" then walked over to daddy.

Stab... right in the heart lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)