Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Blah, Blah, Blah. I'm a bad mom. I knew that already!

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 39 Replies

So, my oldest lost his two top front teeth and ended up with a hefty payment from the tooth-fairy. Today I pick him up after school and I had a few errands to run. At a store, he asked if he could have a toy...I told him he could, but he would have to spend his own money on it, to which he eagerly obliged.

When I got to my grandparents to pick my youngest up. My oldest had beat me in the house like he always does and I walked into WW3....but not between who you would think.

My grandmother starts screaming at me about how I was horrible, and she can't believe I would do that.....mind you at this point I am still trying to figure it out.

According to her: I AM A HORRIBLE MOTHER BECAUSE: I didn't bring my youngest something too. I gently explained that it was not my money that bought the toy, it was DS1's money and that is what he chose to spend it on. And that I don't believe that just because one child gets something, the other should too!

But, she just continued to go on, and on, about how big of a bitch I am.

Agree or disagree? Should have I brought DS2 a toy just because his brother got one that he spent his OWN money on? Or do you too, think I'm a selfish bitch?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BroCosMom
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Uhm no you did right...if I have my oldest with me (6) and she gets something for whatever reason that doesn't mean the boys automatically get something (3) and (8 months) same goes the other way around sometimes someone gets something and someone doesn't
Miss5ft4
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I think had it been under different circumstances, I would have bought youngest boy something too. But I didn't even buy oldest something.....he bought HIMSELF something with HIS money. I don't know why she found that so hard to understand!

proudmommy690
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM
There is nothing wrong. Shes crazy lol
pinkfairy0206
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Wow,how unacceptable,I've done this before. If we have our special days out once in awhile. And they can pick out something small or we will grab a slice of pizza. Its nice to spend a little one on one time to get that connection again:) especially when u have 4 kids!
Miss5ft4
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

People seriously wonder why I drink......that woman is one of the first reasons on the long list. LOL.

Courtney610
by Courtney on May. 9, 2013 at 8:14 PM
IMHO, you were right.
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM
No way you are right! When the other child gets a visit from the tooth fairy it will be their turn. That's the way we do it in our house too. Same with money earned or saved from their little jobs. My one son spends it as soon as it hits his pocket, my other actually listens to me about saving and he saves his. When my oldest gets something he wants and the other is broke I tell him he shouldn't of blown his so quick.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I think you were right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicoles2LilRams
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
You definitely are in the right.. .that's how kids get spoiled and bratty, thinking they deserve something because someone else got it
No good!
You just keep it up
Miss5ft4
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

That is exactly how kids get spoiled, and that is why I refuse to play the "one gets something, so the other has to as well". Mind you, my grandmother, on the kids birthday...buys a gift for the birthday kid and a gift for the non-birthday kid so the other doesn't "feel left out or cheated" WTF!!!!!!!! I can't even begin to explain how livid her stupid antics make me

Quoting Nicoles2LilRams:

You definitely are in the right.. .that's how kids get spoiled and bratty, thinking they deserve something because someone else got it
No good!
You just keep it up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)