Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I need your cheapest meal ideas!

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 18 Replies

The next couple months are gonna be really rough on us financially so we are going to have to cut out on food... I need your cheapest recipes and meal ideas!

So far I have:
Breakfast for dinner
Pasta
Mexican chicken
Chicken and dumplings
Burgers
Breaded chicken
Vegetable stir fry

We have enough chicken in the freezer available for 4 meals, so I need another meal with chicken.
We have 4 burgers in the freezer and then we are out of meat :/. I'd like to go as meatless as possible since it is cheaper. Any other ideas?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
I am a FF, pro BF, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pancake.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Cooking bigger meals you can freeze from your crock pot.

A cheaper one for me is chicken and dumplings in mine.

2 pounds chicken (about three breasts)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
One onion, chopped
Salt, pepper, any other spices to taste
One can of refrigerated biscuits.

Throw chicken, soup, onion and seasons in crockpot. Cook on high for about six hours. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, tear biscuits, throw in raw. Cook til biscuits are done in the middle.

Freeze the rest, eat it later. Lol.

Whole meal costs about 10 dollars, and makes a big enough portion, so you'll have some for later. So really, it's a 5 dollar meal. (Considering its enough for two meals).

Also, any kind of soup in your crockpot can be divided up, and used for other meals.

Really, anything cooked in the crockpot saves money because no matter what you put in, it comes out good, and you don't need a bunch of ingredients.

I rely heavily on mine, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I love my crockpot! This sounds delicious too. Definitely gonna make this in the next couple days.

Quoting pancake.:

One onion, chopped

Throw chicken, soup, onion and seasons in crockpot. Cook on high for about six hours. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, tear biscuits, throw in raw. Cook til biscuits are done in the middle.

Whole meal costs about 10 dollars, and makes a big enough portion, so you'll have some for later. So really, it's a 5 dollar meal. (Considering its enough for two meals).

Also, any kind of soup in your crockpot can be divided up, and used for other meals.

Really, anything cooked in the crockpot saves money because no matter what you put in, it comes out good, and you don't need a bunch of ingredients.

I am a FF, pro BF, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

hannahsmom238
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I was going to suggest making a big thing of soup or chili and freezing it. Same with casseroles. Spaghetti isn't too expensive and tastes pretty good.
Tabby57
by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I make a one pot meal of cabbage, potatoes and smoked sausage. Potato soup is cheap and hearty. Dishes with rice and beans. Look for meat thats on sale and plan your meals around that. Frozen veggies are generally cheaper too. Homemade pancakes.:)

wyntermommy09
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I love this one. I just made it the other day lol.
Quoting pancake.:

One onion, chopped

mrsfred07
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Turkey burgers. Ground turkey is $2.40/lb here. Ground chicken is 1.96/lb here.

1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp poultry rub or seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1 egg.

Mix all together, form into patties and grill. I use a George Foreman and they're done in about 8-9 minutes.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Yeah we eat a lot of pasta, I think that is the cheapest meal especially when you make your own sauce.

Quoting hannahsmom238:

I was going to suggest making a big thing of soup or chili and freezing it. Same with casseroles. Spaghetti isn't too expensive and tastes pretty good.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM

The cabbage, potatoes and sausage sounds amazing! Potato soup is one thing I haven't tried to make yet that I've been wanting to, so I will try that. We eat alot of black beans and rice and always buy frozen veggies cuz I think they are a lot cheaper too.

Quoting Tabby57:

I make a one pot meal of cabbage, potatoes and smoked sausage. Potato soup is cheap and hearty. Dishes with rice and beans. Look for meat thats on sale and plan your meals around that. Frozen veggies are generally cheaper too. Homemade pancakes.:)

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM

These sound great! I've never mixed all that in turkey burgers, just always pattied them with salt and pepper. Guess this is what they've been missing :).

Quoting mrsfred07:

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1 egg.

Mix all together, form into patties and grill. I use a George Foreman and they're done in about 8-9 minutes.

mrsfred07
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I used this recipe the first time I made turkey burgers. I was skeptical of how dh would like them (he loves red meat), but he loves them! There are a few other ways to make them on pinterest but I haven't tried them yet. I use Italian bread crumbs and I think they add a little extra flavor.

Quoting k9l1c5:

These sound great! I've never mixed all that in turkey burgers, just always pattied them with salt and pepper. Guess this is what they've been missing :).

Quoting mrsfred07:

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp olive oil

1 egg.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)