Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How to get baby to accept bottle instead of breast! Help :(

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hello, I'm a new mama to a beautiful boy of 4 months old. I'm having problems with trying to introduce him to the bottle for breast milk instead of my breast. I love him to death, but sometimes I need mama time! Also his a very big boy he weighs about 20lbs so I know his feeding well.

I just don't want him to be comforted by my breast all the time in case I'm not available. His also colic so he is always relying on the breast for comfort, and he rejects everything else. He is also teething too, so his biting on everything, such as the bottle, pacifier, but no signs of teeth yet. Sorry for going  on and on. I don't go out much since I have a fussy baby. I'm planning to work in September so I need to have a game plan. Any advice? Help lol!

by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Has anyone else tried to give him the bottle when you are not home? Some babies won't drink from a bottle when they know the boobie is still right there.

colicmama
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I've tried to let my husband feed him a few times, and he gives him a very hard time. It doesn't seem to work. :(

erin708
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM
My niece took a while but finally starting taking the bottle. My other niece will not take one for anything. She's almost a yr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Yeah but are you still there? If you are standing right next to him or even in another room of the house he probably won't take the bottle because he knows you are still accessible. I would go outside and sit on your porch so your son thinks you are gone and have him try it. Or even go to the store for a couple hours or something and leave dh with the bottle. If he is hungry he will most likely drink it since that is what is available to him.

Quoting colicmama:

I've tried to let my husband feed him a few times, and he gives him a very hard time. It doesn't seem to work. :(

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
I am a FF, pro BF, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

colicmama
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I've tried that too, and no luck. But I did find a solution today actually lol!

I asked my husband to feed him using an eye dropper. It's tedious but it gets the job done, and he loves it!

I pump milk and dad gives it through an eye dropper!  But thank u so much for the help, I really appreciate it. :)

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM
You're welcome, glad you found a solution! Keep trying the bottle sometimes, maybe when he gets older he will take one.

Quoting colicmama:

I've tried that too, and no luck. But I did find a solution today actually lol!

I asked my husband to feed him using an eye dropper. It's tedious but it gets the job done, and he loves it!

I pump milk and dad gives it through an eye dropper!  But thank u so much for the help, I really appreciate it. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniferMiller0
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Here's a bump for ya. lol. My son hasn't had a bottle since about 3 months old.

Mommy2CXh
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM
My son never took a bottle and I worked 40+ hours a week. He reversed cycled and only nursed when I was around
TempestRayne
by Donna on May. 13, 2013 at 6:48 AM
My son wouldn't take a bottle. I have no helpful ideas. That eye dropper is going to get old fast, loll.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)