Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Nursing vs Lpn

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 13 Replies
For your nursing degree is it better to have your Bachelors degree or is an associates ok? And what exactly is a LPN? And whats the difference between that and a nurse? Thanks!
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
feliciasmith
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom is an lpn, she does more hands on work with patients and interacts more with the cna's. There's kind of an unspoken totem pole of cna's on the bottom, lpn's, Rn's, Drs the higher you are on the totem the less work more pay you get haha
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

LPN is Licensed Practical Nurse.   I think they can usually treat patients just like a doctor and those with lesser degrees can only assist a doctor. I could be wrong though.

i.love.my.life
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM
LPN is a glorified CNA. They are lower than a RN.

OP- if I was you, i would go for my four year nursing. Most places are looking for the nurses with four years of schooling

Quoting frndlyfn:

LPN is Licensed Practical Nurse.   I think they can usually treat patients just like a doctor and those with lesser degrees can only assist a doctor. I could be wrong though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Thanks for the correction.   I always get the "ranks"of nurses confused.

Quoting i.love.my.life:

OP- if I was you, i would go for my four year nursing. Most places are looking for the nurses with four years of schooling

Quoting frndlyfn:

feliciasmith
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Glorified in the fact that they have to do all the cna's work including their own and usually the RN's work too, you are correct.

Quoting i.love.my.life:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Simple-Beauty
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I've noticed that our Dr and our Pedi's office employ a lot of medical assistants and lpns.

I'm actually thinking about going for my 2 year RN and then letting the hospital cover the cost of my BSN...that's what many seem to do these days.

jojo_star
by on May. 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM

An LPN can't do the RN's work. LPN's are not CNA's, they have more schooling and training and can do more of the medical, while a CNA can't. LPN's usually can't do IV's unless they are certified for that, can't administer blood products, can't educate patients, can't do admission assessments, and need an RN to sign off after their shift assessments. The particulars really depend on the state, each state has it's own scope of practice for RN's and LPN's. 

Quoting feliciasmith:

Glorified in the fact that they have to do all the cna's work including their own and usually the RN's work too, you are correct.

Quoting i.love.my.life:

Quoting frndlyfn:

feliciasmith
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM
They arent cna's but because a person can become a cna in like 2 weeks many dont really know their own job then someone else has to do it for them or double check their work.

Quoting jojo_star:

An LPN can't do the RN's work. LPN's are not CNA's, they have more schooling and training and can do more of the medical, while a CNA can't. LPN's usually can't do IV's unless they are certified for that, can't administer blood products, can't educate patients, can't do admission assessments, and need an RN to sign off after their shift assessments. The particulars really depend on the state, each state has it's own scope of practice for RN's and LPN's. 

Quoting feliciasmith:

Quoting i.love.my.life:

Quoting frndlyfn:

unspecified42
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I suppose it depends on where you work. When I worked in the hospital, the LPNs did essentially the same job we (I'm an RN) did except we had to do some of their work for them (they can't give IV push medications, start IVs, do initial assessments, given blood, etc). Now that I work in the ER, LPNs can only hold a job as a tech, they can't be in a nursing position there at all.

Quoting feliciasmith:

Quoting i.love.my.life:

Quoting frndlyfn:

lUcKyLoVe22
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Ok so why are there CNA's and RN's then?

Quoting feliciasmith:

Quoting i.love.my.life:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)