Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Speech therapy.

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM
  • 22 Replies

My 2 yr old is being send to speech therapy. Im some what excited, yet nervous. Have any of you ladies had your lo send to speech therapy? If so what exactly is done there, and did it help?

by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I did it when I was a kid. I had a lisp (my s's were not correct, bad tongue placement) it was corrected pretty quick. I remember they did make it fun. i guess it depends on the speech therapy you are having done

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:10 AM

DD was finally able to get help in kindergarten and it has helped alot with her speech delays.  The doctors blew me off since she passed their speech tests each well child check up.  She is still in it for this year and will be next year in second grade as well.   

Hopefully your little one going so early while speech is developing will help not needing it later in life.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM

My dd is in PT but not speech therapy, here's a bump.

geekymom08
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
They do different types of fun activities to try to better your child's speech and get them talking more. Books, games, toys..... Everything. At 2, it's going to be about labeling using one word then building to two and three... Then once that's mastered, sentences and correct articulation.
erin708
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM
My first grader is. She didn't start talking til she was three so she didn't master the sounds most 5 yr olds do. She started in kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennaPBug
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:03 AM
My 2 yr old is. He really likes it cause of the games but I don't think its helping him enough. He has a hard time looking at your lips when you're talking so its taking him longer to get new words. His sessons are 45 min long once a week and I usually wait in the lobby.
chiava
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

May i ask wat is PT?

Quoting k9l1c5:

My dd is in PT but not speech therapy, here's a bump.

chiava
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I hope so too.

Quoting frndlyfn:

DD was finally able to get help in kindergarten and it has helped alot with her speech delays.  The doctors blew me off since she passed their speech tests each well child check up.  She is still in it for this year and will be next year in second grade as well.   

Hopefully your little one going so early while speech is developing will help not needing it later in life.

chiava
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

How long has your lo been going to therapy? have you talked to them, about you thinking it's not helping much?

Quoting JennaPBug:

My 2 yr old is. He really likes it cause of the games but I don't think its helping him enough. He has a hard time looking at your lips when you're talking so its taking him longer to get new words. His sessons are 45 min long once a week and I usually wait in the lobby.

chiava
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Is it working?

Quoting erin708:

My first grader is. She didn't start talking til she was three so she didn't master the sounds most 5 yr olds do. She started in kindergarten.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)