Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

God help me if my son ever tells me he heard...

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM
  • 15 Replies
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Any racist comment that puts him down & makes him feel any less of a person because of his ancestry.

I'm half Korean & half Italian. I've gotten so many comments from all sides. The Asians put me down for not being full blooded, whites put me down for only being half. I've gotten comments from African Americans attacking both sides of my heritage. I am who I am & I am not a bad person so how dare anyone put me down for this. I swear if my son has to deal with this stupidity I will go berserk. We're all beautiful, we are all worth just the same as anybody else. If you cut me, I bleed just like you. I wish so bad I could prevent ds from ever being disrespected in this manner.
by on May. 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Courtney610
by Courtney on May. 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Nobody should ever be put down for their race, ever. Sorry that you've dealt with that. :(
funmommy123
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM
My kids are half black & asian. My 9yr old was in the 2nd grade when a girl said something about him being black. The principal called & told me what happened. I was in tears, because my poor baby came home & asked why he's the color he is.
BabyRuca
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Oh my goodness, I would be in tears too! I can't stand stuff like this, it's so pointless & hurtful. No one can help what color their skin is & we should all be left in peace to embrace our heritage no matter what it is. I'm so sorry your lo had to deal with that esp at such a young age! How did you talk him through that situation?

Quoting funmommy123:

My kids are half black & asian. My 9yr old was in the 2nd grade when a girl said something about him being black. The principal called & told me what happened. I was in tears, because my poor baby came home & asked why he's the color he is.

Mommytorn
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
My son and youngest daughter are both half white-half Korean..nobody has said anything other then that my son is a very pretty boy lol (youngest dd isn't born yet)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on May. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Well said

Quoting Courtney610:

Nobody should ever be put down for their race, ever. Sorry that you've dealt with that. :(
erin708
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM
My kids are a huge mix. But they are 1/4 asian. They don't look it at all and I fear ppl will crack jokes and stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy51006
by on May. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM
You need to teach him to be stronger than to take offense to words. People say things to get a rise out of you, if you react they are getting what they want. Don’t let him get all bent out of shape for being different than some. Everyone is different regardless. Why do you feel so different. I don’t look or have the exact same heritage as ANY of my peers, so what? I find this post weak and strange. Sorry if anyone is offended by my reply, I know many of you will be sipmly because of the comments already in the post.
BabyRuca
by on May. 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM
As my op provably already revealed, I am a very emotional person. I have dealt with many confrontations on either side of my race that were uncalled for & even though I should simply turn my cheek & let it roll off my back, I do take offense to it & it does hurt my feelings. I guess I'm just not as strong as you are, it's just my downfall I suppose. I get what you're saying, & I wish I could be stronger in that aspect, but even if I were I still don't ever want my son to feel out casted the way I do sometimes. I will certainly do my best to help him develop a strong sense of well being & not let those things affect him. There's still a fear that it will though.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

You need to teach him to be stronger than to take offense to words. People say things to get a rise out of you, if you react they are getting what they want. Don’t let him get all bent out of shape for being different than some. Everyone is different regardless. Why do you feel so different. I don’t look or have the exact same heritage as ANY of my peers, so what? I find this post weak and strange. Sorry if anyone is offended by my reply, I know many of you will be sipmly because of the comments already in the post.

ProudMommy51006
by on May. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I think teaching him to be proud of where he comes from and who he is will empower him

Quoting BabyRuca:

As my op provably already revealed, I am a very emotional person. I have dealt with many confrontations on either side of my race that were uncalled for & even though I should simply turn my cheek & let it roll off my back, I do take offense to it & it does hurt my feelings. I guess I'm just not as strong as you are, it's just my downfall I suppose. I get what you're saying, & I wish I could be stronger in that aspect, but even if I were I still don't ever want my son to feel out casted the way I do sometimes. I will certainly do my best to help him develop a strong sense of well being & not let those things affect him. There's still a fear that it will though.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

mangie22
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Nobody should be put down because of their heritage!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)