Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

* le sigh* Slight Worried Rant, Kinda Long...

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 4 Replies

I'm 34 weeks and 5 days pregnant with my first baby. She is perfectly healthy in every way. Except, the doctor found a shadow on her spine, at the 20 week anatomy scan, that she couldn't explain. So, she sent me to Little Rock(I live in Arkansas). My DH and I drove the 2 hours to UAMS to meet with a doctor that deals primarily with spine problems. We got a "super in depth ultrasound that can count the hairs on the baby's head" and they still had no clue what it is. So, they sit us down with a consultant and she tells us best and worst case scenarios for spina bifida and makes a MRI appointment at Arkansas Childrens Hospital for a month down the road. The MRI can slice through layers and get a 360 veiw of whats going on insid the baby, or at least thats what they told us. She said that the "spina bifida team" is half from Childrens and half from UAMS, that's why it was at Childrens.

A month later we make the 2 hour drive again (to Childrens this time), only for them to shove 28week prego me in a baby/child MRI tube(I'm surprised they got me in it) and send us away for a few hours while the tech looked at the pics. We eat lunch and go back to UAMS, where they do another "super in depth ultrasound that can count the hairs on the baby's head" and tell us that they still don't know what it is... They said that it looked like the tail bone split off, making a Y, instead if tapering down at the end and that the preliminary report mentioned anorectal malformation(which he then stated that he had no clue what that meant. The only good thing they told us was that it for sure wasn't spina bifida, the skin and fat covered the whole spine, and her spinal cord wasn't exposed). They sent us home and the next day I went to my normal OB and she said that the malformation thing wasn't even in the official report and until I asked her about it, she never heard/saw anything about it(when it came to my baby, not in general).

Well, on the  3rd I have to go back to Little Rock for one more "super in depth ultrasound that can count the hairs on the baby's head" and a "routine OB visit, to be sure they have the correct info from my regular OB" after which they will tell me if they are going to induce or just go ahead with a c-section and set the date. Which bothers me, worries me really, because I am worried about my baby mostly. I'm also prone to something called Vassal Vegal Response(could be spelled wrong) which in short means that even the tiniest blood vessel being ruptured can send me into violent seizures due to my body rebooting itself like a computer with a virus. They said they want me to have the baby in UAMS so they can have neonatal surgeons in the room ready to run with her if something is wrong(which, they don't even know if anything is wrong at all) and it's practically across the street form Childrens so she can go there if need be(they have the best NICU in the state).

Basically, As it closer to my due date, I get more and more worried. I'm trying to just stay relaxed and not fret much but, they have been telling all of these things that could go wrong and following up with "it could also be nothing, just a shadow... but, we honestly don't know.." I know it's not their fault that they don't know but, I can't help but feel angry with them for not having any answers.

Has anyone else had a baby in this situation? If so, what did it turn out to be?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
HAHuskey
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Oh and it didn't help that on our way back for the MRI we walked past a baby with like 8 doctors working on him with machines and tubes everywhere...

HAHuskey
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

BUMP!

HAHuskey
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Nobody?

catrig
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)