Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do u give ur baby formula? Why do some people say its bad?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 21 Replies

I saw this posted on facebook and there were some pretty nasty comments about how formula is bad for babys and it actually made me feel like a bad mother for giving it to my son. But I really dont know much about this,  is it really that bad and if so what do we feed our babys then.....I'm, really just looking for other peoples opinions cuz I dont know what to think.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaiti_G
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Well i breast feed my first day i had my son. I didn't want to in the beginning but i kept hearing everyone say formula was aweful and w.i.c. telling me how bad it is. I soon realized after i had my son just how hard and miserable it was breastfeeding. It just wasn't for me. I felt guilty for months and was depressed i didn't. I soon realized after talking to my doctor and doing research it really wasn't that bad for them. Lots of people take formula i took it my parents took it and were fine. My doctor said she started work when her child was 8 weeks and didn't have enough to pump and realized it was better to use formula and only breastfeeding sometimes. Most people mix them anyways. In my opinion it helped my son out more because it helped him quickly gain the weight he needed to gain. It also helps joundas kids (can't spell) get it out of their system faster so....if u can breastfeed great if you can't at all or can only sometimes then formula if the only other opinion. And for the most part formula is all kinda the same so the ingredients r pretty much a like.
AmberRose1122
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Breast is best but not the only option. I wish people would be quiet about this (not you, the bashers).
mandaboo99
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I formula fed my first ( I was a teen mom going to school) and I breast fed my next two. They say Breast is best, but really I think whatever Is best for YOUR family is best. There is too much mommy shaming going on. bottom line is, you are taking care of your baby the way you see fit and who cares what anyone says :) Be the best momma you can to your baby and THAT is what is best. xo

209mom4you
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Mobile Photo

This is one way to go also
momof3jam
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Some people just like to be nasty to others.

Obviously BF is best, but formula has come a looooong way. I've done it both ways and to be honest, I don't see much of a difference. You do what works best for you, and let people say whatever they want to say.

mexicanseaf00d
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I formula fed my daughter. I tried BF, I really did, but it was just so hard. I also had to go back to work when she was 8 weeks, so I never had time to pump. I did both for about 6 months before switching only to formula. She's perfectly fine. I think whatever works for your family is best

Courtney610
by Courtney on May. 29, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Breast was best for my kids.  I don't judge others. 

Ciaodarlings
by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I EBF. Knowing what's in formula I personally wouldn't want to feed it to my son, but to each their own.
littlecheifsmom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Ds1 only breastfed
Ds2 combo feeding. Breastmilk & formula. Not by my choice but by need. My high.blood pressure contributed to lowering my supply along with his heart condition,lip & tounge ties. I was working ans going to school. Plus fft and being threatened to have a gtube placed. So giving him 8oz a day wasn't a huge issues. It was a need for his health. At 13 months he get zero formula & bfs

I just don't understand why women love to nit pick other apart. I have seen this so many other times. All that should matter is baby is being taken care of.
k9l1c5
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I feed my dd formula. She is 9 months. I tried BFing with her, but my supply didn't come in quick enough and she was a big baby and hungry. By the time it DID come in my nipples were still so sore and scabbed from trying before that I just couldn't do it, it was too painful. Yes, breastmilk is best but you have to do what you have to do. Baby has to eat somehow. I will try again with the next baby though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)