Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Student loans...need advice

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello moms,

I just found out that I can't apply for deferments on my student loans anymore because I've used up the time. I cannot find employment either because there are no jobs for my degree (Music therapy) and my certification in EKG tech has no openings in my area. I've applied at a temp agency but I've heard nothing from them.

I don't think I qualify for loan forgiveness. But any advice on what I can do?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ambermarie2006
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Honestly not much you can do. They will start garnishing your wages when you do get a job and will take your taxes. Student loans are evil things :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenoxclan
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Apply for income based repayment. They base it off your income. If you have no income it will be zero a month. You have to reapply every year. And it IS different that deferrment.

l0nely
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Get another job?
SourRoses
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM
This!! :)

Quoting lenoxclan:

Apply for income based repayment. They base it off your income. If you have no income it will be zero a month. You have to reapply every year. And it IS different that deferrment.

alkakfnxcpoem
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Maybe look into something like mental health counseling? It's not an easy job and doesn't pay great, but it's better than nothing.

erin708
by on May. 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Def call them and tell them ur income. There was a period I didn't pay them for about six months cause I couldn't afford it. They just kept sending me late notices. We apparently made to much for any help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Yes, this!

Quoting lenoxclan:

pancake.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I'm running from the loan people myself...I'm gonna be totally fucked at tax time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)