Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping up the appearance after kids....

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM
  • 65 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you get "prettied" up before your husband comes home?

Options:

Yes, Always!

Sometimes, just when i have the extra time

No, I don't care what I look like when he gets home!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 76

View Results

My husband thanked me yesterday for not looking frumpy and still keeping up my appearance, despite being a SAHM of two little babes.  (he is a very visual man, he likes his woman to look good at all times) He said yesterday at work his work buddies were complaining about their women not looking as good as they once did, before marriage and kids. He also added that most of them were not attracted to their wives anymore because they don't look the same as before. This kind of crushed me because some of them are my friends.   I would never say anything to them about the way the look but should I maybe hint to them that their husbands are not so impressed or attracted to the way they look anymore?   

Im not bashing women that walk around the house all day in jammies, and just do the mom thing ( I do it too, just definitely not everyday)        Me and my husband were wondering what changes, Is it really that hard to take five minutes out of your morning to get "prettied" up, Or even while dinner is cooking or something and your man is on his way home?  Do some woman think that just because their husband loves them it shouldn't matter how they present themselves when he is home?  

This whole topic is mind boggling to me, My mom and my husbands mom were both stay at home moms and always made sure they looked presentable and prettied up for when my dad and FIL got home.

I am NOT bashing anybody, or trying to disrespect anybody!

by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WillVon
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM
What do you mean by prettied up?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kattcooper
by on May. 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Put a little lip gloss on or change into nice clothes, maybe spraying some perfume! Just spruce up a little bit!

Quoting WillVon:

kattcooper
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM

BUMP!

kattcooper
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM

BUMP!

StarryRain
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:16 PM
4 moms liked this
Why?

I mean really. Does he come home, spritz on cologne, change into something sexy, and make sure I'm properly aesthetically seduced? Or is it only my responsibility to make sure my face is painted to perfection and that I smell like I just frolicked through a lilac field?
kattcooper
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM

No, but dont most men come home from work shower and look presentable?   I never said to look like you just frolicked through a lilac field!   But if you used to look really nice and well put together before you had children and then changed, can you blame a man for not being attracted to his woman?

Quoting StarryRain:

Why?

I mean really. Does he come home, spritz on cologne, change into something sexy, and make sure I'm properly aesthetically seduced? Or is it only my responsibility to make sure my face is painted to perfection and that I smell like I just frolicked through a lilac field?

Truthful_Mommy
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a SAHM with two kids at home who are a year and a half apart. My oldest only being 2. To be perfectly honest though, I don't get "prettied" up unless we're going out. I never prettied myself up when we were just dating though. Now, that being said, I do still stay in shape. I make sure that none of my pregnancy pants fit while I'm not pregnant, and I only gained 15 lbs with both pregnancies. But, I can't make myself look pretty for him when he gets home because he works nights and gets home at like 4 in the morning. I'm still sleeping at that time. My husband knew what he was getting himself into when we got together. I make my children look presentable first.

StarryRain
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM
4 moms liked this
Actually, I can.

I find the double standard to be utter bullshit. Nor would I remain with someone that shallow. If you and your husband are happy, though, congratulations!!

For the record, I work out, keep my naturally high maintenance hair in order, wear makeup when I feel like it, and always smell good. Unless I've been gardening, working out, cleaning, or any number of things that are my responsibility. Unfortunately, my looks are not a priority, because life, children, and adulthood are. I'm too busy to worry if he thinks my hair looks sexy while I'm stirring dinner, or while I'm weeding my tomatoes. Know what I mean?

Maybe, instead, you should be asking these men why they are so hung up on their wives' physical appearances, instead of the love, dedication, and hard work they provide for their men.

Quoting kattcooper:

No, but dont most men come home from work shower and look presentable?   I never said to look like you just frolicked through a lilac field!   But if you used to look really nice and well put together before you had children and then changed, can you blame a man for not being attracted to his woman?

Quoting StarryRain:

Why?

WillVon
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I don't wear makeup or anything. And I don't own anything nice other than tshirt and jeans/shorts.

The only time I "dress up" is if I'm seeing a friend, which means hub is babysitting haha

Quoting kattcooper:

Put a little lip gloss on or change into nice clothes, maybe spraying some perfume! Just spruce up a little bit!

Quoting WillVon:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Considering my day begins when my four sons 3-8 yelling their ready to eat and do not settle down until time for bed..... I'm lucky if I have 3 minutes to pop on some mascara or change before he gets home. Perfume yes. Sometimes. Considering now its summertime and wet I smell like a just took a mud bath and rolled in the grass. He says he finds me very sexy no matter what the circumstance. I do feel like I look like I've been hit by a truck due to exhaustion a lot though. Makeup helps ME feel better about how he sees me. When I actually have time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)