Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is being obese just as bad as smoking?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 55 Replies

I thought about this and decided to ask you ladies what you thought.

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomRocs1102
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM

bump

pancake.
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM
3 moms liked this
They're both unhealthy.

But what pisses me off about these two things, is people can tell a smoker how unhealthy it is, and it's totally acceptable. If you approach an obese person and tell them to lose weight, it's wrong and you're an asshole...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadeAyosmom
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM

yup that is true.

i think they are equal...

my mother was at a dr and she looked through her file and literally attacked the dr over under on going conditions he listed 'obesity' she freaked out at him.

ppl dont seem to see it in the medical way

Quoting pancake.:

They're both unhealthy.

But what pisses me off about these two things, is people can tell a smoker how unhealthy it is, and it's totally acceptable. If you approach an obese person and tell them to lose weight, it's wrong and you're an asshole...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
MomRocs1102
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM

there is away to say things to people that you know. I personally think its rude to just walk up to someone smoking or over weight and say hey lose weight or quit smoking.  

Quoting pancake.:

They're both unhealthy.

pancake.
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM
It's socially acceptable, is my point. You can see a smoker and say "oh that's so bad for your health!" Every time I buy a pack of cigs, the cashier seems to look at me funny and begins lecturing me how "oh such a nasty habit!!" Like I really wanna hear that...

But if you see an obese person eating a huge ass cheeseburger, and say "oh goodness! You shouldn't be eating that!" You're automatically a douchebag.

Society has become so lazy, and hooked on instant glorification that they stuff their faces with Taco Bell, and burgers and wonder why everyone's having weight related issues. But it's wrong to say anything because weight is considered a sensitive subject?

Quoting MomRocs1102:

there is away to say things to people that you know. I personally think its rude to just walk up to someone smoking or over weight and say hey lose weight or quit smoking.  

Quoting pancake.:

They're both unhealthy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomRocs1102
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM

i hear you

Quoting pancake.:

It's socially acceptable, is my point. You can see a smoker and say "oh that's so bad for your health!" Every time I buy a pack of cigs, the cashier seems to look at me funny and begins lecturing me how "oh such a nasty habit!!" Like I really wanna hear that...

But if you see an obese person eating a huge ass cheeseburger, and say "oh goodness! You shouldn't be eating that!" You're automatically a douchebag.

Society has become so lazy, and hooked on instant glorification that they stuff their faces with Taco Bell, and burgers and wonder why everyone's having weight related issues. But it's wrong to say anything because weight is considered a sensitive subject?

Quoting MomRocs1102:

Quoting pancake.:

They're both unhealthy.

geekymom08
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
One... Is a unhealthy habit... Completely.

The other is a unheathy habit or could be caused by a medical condition. The reason obesity is more acceptable is because you don't know if someone has a medical problem causing that issue. People won't say something because you have no clue if someone is working out and eating well, but something is wrong medically.
jojo_star
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Yes, just as bad, just in a different way.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Yes I agree. :) 

Quoting jojo_star:

Yes, just as bad, just in a different way.

TempestRayne
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

It's a toss up. when you think about it, smoking causes permanent damge to your lungs and ateries. You have a permanently increased risk of lung cancer. Being obese causes damage to your joints, your kidneys, it makes it harder for you to breathe, can raise your blood pressure, give you diabetes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)