Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm only 22

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM
  • 12 Replies

I used to be a musician (Guitarist/Vocalist). 

I loved to sing, I wasn't the best at guitar, but I can sing. 

I'm not really sure what happened, but I just stopped, it wasn't that I had my son, I stopped before that, it wasn't that I met my husband because I was still singing then, he went to a few of my shows...I just lost it maybe. 

I keep looking on craigslist, seeing if people need a vocalist in my area, and any time I see a vocalist needed, I just can't bring myself to call or email my info...I want to sing, but for some reason I feel like my time has come and gone or something...idk. But I'm only 22, that doesn't make sense. 

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Depression perhaps rearing its ugly head.  22 is still young enough to revive the passion if you still have it.  Heck look at all the 50 yr olds still rocking out.

Bauxite-17
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I don't think its depression...I wrote some of my best stuff, while in the throws of depression...maybe its the lack of sadness and drugs in my life? lol 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Depression perhaps rearing its ugly head.  22 is still young enough to revive the passion if you still have it.  Heck look at all the 50 yr olds still rocking out.

frndlyfn
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Volunteer in a homeless shelter to gain some angst?  Were you a happy artist or more into the sadness angst?    Depression can manifest in many different ways.  Perhaps you just grew out of the art and need to pick a new medium to work with.

Quoting Bauxite-17:

I don't think its depression...I wrote some of my best stuff, while in the throws of depression...maybe its the lack of sadness and drugs in my life? lol 

Quoting frndlyfn:

SourRoses
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:38 AM
Would you ever consider American idol lol or the x factor?
Bauxite-17
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:40 AM

When I wrote my music, I was always in a terrible mood, just in really negative moods. It was a way for me to bring myself out of those moods I guess. Plus I did drugs and drank, so that just added fuel to the fire. Now I'm happy with my life, I have a family, I'm a sahm...and I still sing to my kid and stuff like that, but, singing in front of people, and writing songs again....I just can't do it. It also feels like, people aren't going to like me or something. Or I feel Like I'm not as good as I used to be or something...idk, I can't really put my finger on it. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Volunteer in a homeless shelter to gain some angst?  Were you a happy artist or more into the sadness angst?    Depression can manifest in many different ways.  Perhaps you just grew out of the art and need to pick a new medium to work with.

Quoting Bauxite-17:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Bauxite-17
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Oh no...I'm not a cookie cutter singer. 

Quoting SourRoses:

molliexollie
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:18 AM

I love to write poetry...I am happy now and it is like I cant write anymore...I can only get a few lines then im like blocked nothing more.....

SourRoses
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Do you even watch those shows? Lol

Quoting Bauxite-17:

Quoting SourRoses:

Night_Roane
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I think the drugs probably inhibited your nervousness. Im much more outgoing when I drink.
Here's what I would do: find a voice coach in your area, and go to a few sessions to boost your confidence. When you feel more like yourself, ask to sit in on a session with another student, to see if you'd like being a coach or if hearing them find their voice inspires you.
Bauxite-17
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM
I have watched them. I watched American Idol until Simon left, I've watched some of last season of x factor...if you've seen one show about a singing competition, you've seen them all. Honestly, they really do just do the same thing over and over again. I also don't want to be known for being on one of those shows, its really hard to break out from the shadow of those shows. I mean, look at Kelly Clarkson....its like how many years later, and the first thing people say about her is that she was on American Idol. And also what I mean by cookie cutter singers, is that their only talents are singing. Its rare when you see a singer on there actually write their own songs (good songs)...they're just glorified karaoke singers. I'm not into singing Karaoke.
Quoting SourRoses:

Do you even watch those shows? Lol

Quoting Bauxite-17:

Quoting SourRoses:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)