Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need advice on potty training

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son is almost 3 and has no desire to go in the potty. he hates having a wet or dirty diaper on so 75 percent of the time he is naked.. i ask about every 5 to 10 minutes if he needs to go potty and he says no. i ask if he wants to try  NO again. then he pees on the floor.. lol

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Can he go outside or do you live in apartments? I am a country girl. If I had a boy he would have been most likely potty trained like that. I wish I could help I had a girl. And she was pottyed trained before 2 

HAHuskey
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom would have spanked me after a few times of doing that. Put undies on him.. Try to make a game out of it. Like put cheerios in the toilet and see if he can hit them. If he hits them every time and has no accidents give him a treat at the end of the day.

chicklopez
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

my son was like this, it was so hard to potty train him. With my DD, she was potty trained at 18 months. We kept her naked from the waist down, and she had one accident, where she peed on the floor. She hated it so much, she went on the potty chair. (She was so easy) My son on the other hand could care less about having accidents anywhere and everywhere.

The one thing that I think worked for him, we put him in those training pants, the ones that are almost plastic like. Or just some pants. We always had the potty chair nearby. Eventually he realized, if he wanted to stay dry he had to use the potty chair. It took a long time to PT him. I would say, almost 4 months. I gave both my kids treats when they would use the potty chair, most of the time snack size cookies. (BTW, DS was 2 when we decided to start PT-ing him)

Pam_8787
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Go straight to underwear not naked. Ask and take every half hour. I did the 3 day method with both my boys and they were both completely potty trained by 18 months
mom2jasper
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Put him in underwear. Pull ups are not a good idea. If you can, take him outside. My 2 1/2 year old loved to peepee on the trees and that helped him with aim and knowing when he had to go
nw91920
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

thank you all for the advice. i have started putting him in underwear and i have tried giving him a treat he began to think that if he went in the bathroom at all he got a treat. i have put him on the potty and just said ttry to go and he would go a little bit and we would celebrate. he also has watched my husband.. still no desire to do it himself..

TempestRayne
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I gave my kids jelly beans or m&m's everytime they went on the potty.
MamaPeanut
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM
If he isn't ready, you can't force it.

Try a reward chart or regular underwear.
katiekiwi
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM

i bought a toy of my daughters choice and only allowed her to use it when she sits on the potty.  Kept her naked from the waist down and asked her every 5 mins.  we have a potty chart that she gets to put stickers on it everytime she goes in the potty and she gets 1 m&m as well..   we are starting to wean her off the m&ms and so far so good.  good luck!

Courtney610
by Courtney on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Some kids just aren't ready before 3. Don't force it too much.

Try a reward/Incentive chart.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)