Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

2nd child on the way need advice for dealing with depression/anxiety attacks

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

Help! Extremely hormonal!

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
daftricochet
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I know exactly how you feel. I have had an anxiety disorder most of my life, and it got really bad during both of my pregnancies. Could you talk to your doctor and a psychiatrist? If you've been having these problems for more than a month, you may be able to have some antianxiety medication. I'm pretty sure that there are some that are safe to take during pregnancy, so ask a doctor. 

If you don't want to be medicated, there are other ways to help your anxiety. Whenever you feel anxiety, sit down and take a few deep breaths. In through your nose, make your lungs feel full....close your eyes and hold your breath for a couple seconds....let it out slow through your mouth until it's all out. Just keep doing that until you feel a little more relaxed. Don't keep time - it'll only make you more anxious. Get yourself to the point where you can manage yourself, and then return to what you were doing gradually, if you can. 

Do you have any physical symptoms? I know that I get a very upset, tight stomach. In that case, I do the same breathing and imagine a tight knot coming loose in my stomach. I imagine it while breathing over and over again, telling myself that the knot is loosening and that everything is okay. You can do something similar with your head or shakiness or whatever physical symptoms you have. 

Make sure to also have a glass of water. I find that sipping on some cold water really really helps me. 

TattooedMom104
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Thank you for the advice! My doctor has just started me on Buspar and Zoloft. When I found out I was pregnant about a month ago my doctor told me to stop taking all of my medications, Prozac and xanax that I had been on for a few years. But lately Ive become so nervous and scared of everyone around me, sudden bursts of anger, and deep depression very suicidal. Its very difficult. I will try the deep breathing and the water thing! I just feel like Im losing control!!! But I try to keep reminding myself Im being irrational!

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Give the Zoloft time to kick in, it'll help! It helped me a lot. I was on Lexapro but switched to Zoloft for my anxiety, I'm also on Vistaril and Ativan as needed. Hang in there mama! *hugs*
TattooedMom104
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Thanks a bunch :)

Quoting MMerrill:

Give the Zoloft time to kick in, it'll help! It helped me a lot. I was on Lexapro but switched to Zoloft for my anxiety, I'm also on Vistaril and Ativan as needed. Hang in there mama! *hugs*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN