Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Depo Provera

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

Is it just me or has anyone else been screwed up by the depo shot?

I had normal periods until I took depo. Since depo I havent had normal periods, trouble getting pregnant and I was diagnoised infertile. Took meds and had found out I was producing immature eggs.

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilyrose2011
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I didn't have all those problems. At least I don't think I did. I wasn't trying to get pregnant after stopping it, but i did have issues with it. I gained weight and had inconsistent periods. I took it for over a year and a half and quit getting the shot when I couldn't loose the weight and when I got tired of worrying if I was pregnant or not since sometimes I just wouldn't have a period at all.
To_the_moon
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Wow I'm sorry mama :( I never had the depo shot because I've heard nothing but bad things about it.
aprilsalcro
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Any birth control can cause ladies to have difficulties getting pregnant or infertility. I'm sorry mama good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pancake.
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM
I got pregnant a year after stopping depo. It screwed my body up big time before I got pregnant. If you take it for long periods of time, it can make you infertile, but the doctors don't warn you about that. I'm sorry you're going thru all this :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DyerMaker
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It messed up my thyroid. I gained 100 lbs in 14 months and have not been able to lose any substantial weight in 8 years. I was 22 years old when I first took depo, so I was already past teen and freshman 15 weight gain.  I did everything from fad diets, to healthy diets, weight training, daily cardio training with a trainer yelling in my ear 5 days a week. Yes, I was 120 and went to 220 lbs...... I never had obesity issues prior.

I had infertility of unknown origin and paid dearly for a fertility doctor. We tried to get pregnant for over 3 years before finally conceiving. 

lsianichole01
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

not me. I took it for 2 1/2 years and never had any side effects. was off it for three months and we got pregnant!

lilangel_4206
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I got it for the first time in September of 2009 was on it for two years. I did gain a little bit of weight and my periods were random but I did like it because it was a worry every 3 months not everyday. Once I got off it in September 2012 I went on the pill. Was on that for 10 months when I got pregnant in July of last year....
JRSMOM0621
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I'm glad not many people had the same side effects as me. I waited a year after depo to try for a baby so it wasnt until then I found out that I wasnt producing eggs. Then it was immature eggs, next was a miscarriage due to the egg breaking somehow.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I have two good friends that got really messed up from it.  One of them was in horrible pain all the time and she was having 3-4 week long periods.  She's been to the doctor like 20 times and they couldn't do anything for her.

LMEMomma05
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I bled the entire 6 months I was on it, had absolutely no sex drive, and my emotions were all messed up, one min I was happy and at the drop of a dime I'd be crying.or pissed off. Never again will I choose that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN