Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

very low milk supply.. can I increase it???

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 25 Replies
Maddox is finally here :) He is now 10 days old. The hospital really left me on my own with breastfeeding. They told me not to worry about it until day 5-7. My son will not latch, it really makes him mad, and I did not get milk until day 5ish. Now I am pumping but only getting 1-2 oz with each pumping (about every 3-4 hours). I don't know if I should talk to my dr or if there's anything that can be done. We feed him formula and breast milk since I don't make much milk. I wanted to exclusively breast feed. The 'lactation consultant' at labor and delivery at the hospital doesn't offer any advice except 'some babies do better with formula since ur milk supply is not good'.

Should I talk to my doctor or anyone have suggestions? I don't want to give up.
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM

OMGGGGGGGGGGGG   If your doctor will not help, see if WIC can offer you their counsel on this.   We had a great lactation consultant that worked with us.   How many wet diapers is he having?  That is a good guide on how much he is eating through out the day/night.   Pumping does not work for all women.

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Did the consultant show you what a proper latch is?

Meg2011425
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I have heard lactation cookies and mothers milk tea. You can google lactation cookies, a lot of friends of mine have had success with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vvinkyloafer
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I'd contact a lactation consultant through WIC or another association. Also, look into herbal supplements to help boost milk supply. I'd recommend LactationBlend by Vitanica. They carry it at Whole Foods and you can also order it online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Congrats on your baby. Oh I tried everything when I had my daughter. She latched on and everything but when I pumped I wasn't pulling enough. And we are talking about an 8 to 9lb baby. So I had to add formula to it. but I made sure she got the good stuff that she is suppose to have in the first 2 to 3 weeks. 

cayandjay2011
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Try a nipple shield to get him to latch it worked for me bc my son didnt latch either. Dont give up it took my son a month till he latched. I pumped alot like every 2 hours. Make sure u eat well and try a hot shower (: hope this helps
MGM.mommy
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM
No the lactation consultant showed me a video on different positions and then told me he would latch when he felt like it.

I haven't talked to my doc yet. He has plenty of wet diapers and poops. But like I said, we give him formula as well since I'm only pumping a total of 6oz a day (give or take).
kzuehlk
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the same problem with my son. First of all, buy an electric pump. Those manual ones are crap.

Secondly, I take Fenugreek (3 pills, 3 times a day) to help with my supply. It's an herbal supplement, the same thing they use to flavor artificial maple syrup. The only side effect it has is that it will make your sweat and urine smell like pancakes. I went from feeding my newborn formula most of the day to a bottle maybe once a week. It only took a couple days to start working
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MGM.mommy
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I also got a nipple shield, I may try that again. I think it just makes him mad because he doesn't get the instant milk.

I will try another lactation consultant Monday.

I will also try some of the supplements that were suggested.
Toxic.Stardust
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Pumping is not a good way to tell how much you're making, a baby gets milk out much better than a machine. Keep trying to get him to latch, and if we won't, talk to your doctor or someone. This is around the time he should be having a growth spurt, so if he's fussy that might be why.

To answer your original question though, fenugreek ups your supply really well. You can get the capsules at GNC or maybe walmart. It REALLY ups your supply. I pumped like 8 oz in one sitting when I was taking it. But just watch out, about 1/5 of babies get really bad gas pains from it (my DD was one) 

Also, join the breastfeeding group on here, they give great advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)