Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

very low milk supply.. can I increase it???

Posted by   + Show Post
Maddox is finally here :) He is now 10 days old. The hospital really left me on my own with breastfeeding. They told me not to worry about it until day 5-7. My son will not latch, it really makes him mad, and I did not get milk until day 5ish. Now I am pumping but only getting 1-2 oz with each pumping (about every 3-4 hours). I don't know if I should talk to my dr or if there's anything that can be done. We feed him formula and breast milk since I don't make much milk. I wanted to exclusively breast feed. The 'lactation consultant' at labor and delivery at the hospital doesn't offer any advice except 'some babies do better with formula since ur milk supply is not good'.

Should I talk to my doctor or anyone have suggestions? I don't want to give up.
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
hnischke
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
1st of all go over to the breastfeeding moms group. Those ladies are amazing!

2nd he might not be latching because you're engorged. If your breast is too firm it's hard to do for such a little nurser.

3rd it's supply and demand. Your supply is low because he isn't eating at beast efficiently you're not emptying the breast. If you're only pumping it has to be every 2 hours around the clock.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Fenugreek, oatmeal (plain oats not the prepackaged kind), mothers milk tea and I'm thinking there was something else but I can't think of it right now. Have you posted in the breastfeeding group?

aimlee
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM

from my first experience with my daughter, the nipple shield caused my milk to dry up. I would never recommend one. try expressing some milk with your hands before baby latches (reduces engorgement) and baby should be able to latch better. Also call wic, they should be able to help you. Dont give up!!

Quoting MGM.mommy:

I also got a nipple shield, I may try that again. I think it just makes him mad because he doesn't get the instant milk.

I will try another lactation consultant Monday.

I will also try some of the supplements that were suggested.

oo

TaralynnStewart
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Join the breastfeeding group
On here. They are great and offer tons of support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rozenshyao
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM

My son had a hard time latching on when he was a little baby. I used a nipple sheild and it worked so well. He loves to nurse! It took a little bit of five months for him to properly latch on without it, but that nipple shield helped so much! You should try it out and see if it works. I would definitely use it again, if my new little baby have trouble latching on when he gets here in September. 

CafeMom Tickers
KatieFlower
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Don't forget go for the sandwich of the nipple (I think thats how to decribd it to help the latch) I figured this out on my own and wished a lactation consultant could have told me this for any of my three babies
MommyMartinie
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Try hand expressing too, my friend never did respond well to pumps. There are videos on youtube of how to do it.

kels1023
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM
My daughter is 3 weeks and I've had that issue since day one. I've tried everything from funegreek, mothers milk, and lactation cookies and nothing has helped. I'm just one of the unfortunate ones who has a very low milk supply so I have to supplement with formula. It's not ideal, but I feel better knowing she's no longer losing weight (she was continuing to lose weight until I started supplementing)
Kazmira222
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I could not get my son to latch at all. I had to use a nipple shield and that over time started to really hurt me. I pumped and only managed to BF for like 2 weeks :/ would've liked to continue, but I just wasn't making enough and I was soon starting work. Some of us it just doesn't work out so well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Join the breastfeeding group. Babies can take 2 weeks to get back to birth weight. If you're changing 6 diapers/ day your supply is fine.

Quoting kels1023:

My daughter is 3 weeks and I've had that issue since day one. I've tried everything from funegreek, mothers milk, and lactation cookies and nothing has helped. I'm just one of the unfortunate ones who has a very low milk supply so I have to supplement with formula. It's not ideal, but I feel better knowing she's no longer losing weight (she was continuing to lose weight until I started supplementing)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN