Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

very low milk supply.. can I increase it???

Posted by   + Show Post
Maddox is finally here :) He is now 10 days old. The hospital really left me on my own with breastfeeding. They told me not to worry about it until day 5-7. My son will not latch, it really makes him mad, and I did not get milk until day 5ish. Now I am pumping but only getting 1-2 oz with each pumping (about every 3-4 hours). I don't know if I should talk to my dr or if there's anything that can be done. We feed him formula and breast milk since I don't make much milk. I wanted to exclusively breast feed. The 'lactation consultant' at labor and delivery at the hospital doesn't offer any advice except 'some babies do better with formula since ur milk supply is not good'.

Should I talk to my doctor or anyone have suggestions? I don't want to give up.
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Replies (21-25):
kels1023
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:12 PM
I'm not. She will go 2 days without pooping so her pedi told us to supplement. She's doing better now.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Join the breastfeeding group. Babies can take 2 weeks to get back to birth weight. If you're changing 6 diapers/ day your supply is fine.

Quoting kels1023:

My daughter is 3 weeks and I've had that issue since day one. I've tried everything from funegreek, mothers milk, and lactation cookies and nothing has helped. I'm just one of the unfortunate ones who has a very low milk supply so I have to supplement with formula. It's not ideal, but I feel better knowing she's no longer losing weight (she was continuing to lose weight until I started supplementing)

Mom2Just1
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:01 AM
My son has a bowel movement every 4 days. Totally normal. Breastfed babies can go longer because they use all the breast milk and therefore have very little waste. Are you changing 6 diapers/ day with her peeing? Soak diapers and poop diapers count as 2. I urge you to join the breastfeeding group. Drs make mistakes.

Quoting kels1023:

I'm not. She will go 2 days without pooping so her pedi told us to supplement. She's doing better now.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Join the breastfeeding group. Babies can take 2 weeks to get back to birth weight. If you're changing 6 diapers/ day your supply is fine.

Quoting kels1023:

My daughter is 3 weeks and I've had that issue since day one. I've tried everything from funegreek, mothers milk, and lactation cookies and nothing has helped. I'm just one of the unfortunate ones who has a very low milk supply so I have to supplement with formula. It's not ideal, but I feel better knowing she's no longer losing weight (she was continuing to lose weight until I started supplementing)

TempestRayne
by Donna on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Drink more water. Lay in bed with baby all day. Eat oatmeal. Mothers milk tea, fennel seeds. Anise seed, coriander,
BrysonsMama13
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM

i heard non aloholic beer increases milk supply

BrysonsMama13
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM

i had my baby almost 2 months ago and can only pump 2-3 oz... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)