Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is quitting my 9-5 to stay home a good idea?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM
  • 21 Replies
2 moms liked this

Ok, so I recently put my notice in at to  work only 1 day a week to be more of a stay at home mom. I started a work at home business and im doing GREAT(thats the only reason, i was able to lessen my work days) but i hear about women being stay at home moms and start to stress or miss being in the work field. Im i crazy for not just enjoying the time i can have with my kids or should i add another day or 2 back at work(which actually pays LESS than my home business) so I can keep my sanity!! i guess thats why i didnt quit my job completly, just the "what ifs" 

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsNiko88
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:28 AM
4 moms liked this
If you can afford it go for it. I wish I could.
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a sahm but my husband is a full time worker. :) but when my child goes to school I am thinking of getting a part time job or something. 

kbutton24
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
This :)

Quoting mama2b100808:

I am a sahm but my husband is a full time worker. :) but when my child goes to school I am thinking of getting a part time job or something. 

Dibsy
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
In the beginning I went a little stir crazy being home all day everyday, but when my husband suggested I go back and work at the vet a day or two a week to give me something to do that I'd enjoy, I cried. I just thought about not seeing my son for those hours and it made me so sad. So I occupy myself with playing with him and helping my husband farm and working on the house because I used to do construction and its fun. I totally recommend staying at home, for the mom that wants to!
mcaMOMMY
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I am able to afford tostaying home. I replaced my income x2 before i made the choice.  MrsNik088 you can do it too!! I just recently started staying home so my children are out of school now. They will start camp and i dont want to take them out to spend time with me because i know they should be with other children. I think Im going to keep just the one day to see how it goes. I really like the idea of being there when my kids get out of school or when they have a sports event i dont have to "take off of work" or have someone watch my children for a couple of hrs because i have to be at work at the crack of dawn!! again thanks for all the responses!! oh and to mention im 26, so its like everyone else around me my age is in the work force, some times 2 jobs. I feel as though "im suppose" to be doing this too!! while im home everyone is at work. just afraid im going to go back to work and miss out on the time i could be sharing with my kids!! (i think im venting now!! lol) 

KimmieLu
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM
You have to make an active effort as a stay at home mom to go out and talk with other adults every now and then. You'll be at home with the kids and then realize you haven't left the house in daaaayys.

Maybe speak with your employer and see how open they would be to letting you come back if you decide to later on. Sort of keep that door open... there's nothing wrong with getting away from your kids a little. A break from them might help you keep your sanity :P
mcaMOMMY
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

im a pediatric nurse and work for a pediatric homecare agency(yeah, i love kids lol) so i can always pick the days back up IF they have them avail!! the more i think about it, ill just keep the one day for now. and see how i manage through the summer. come fall i might be ready to pick up more days!!

CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I think you need to do whatever you want! I quit school to become a stay home mom and its been the greatest time of my life.. Many on here have told me it was stupid but my happiness, life style and marriage would say different.

It was the perfect choice for us! and you should do whatever you think it the right choice for you and your family! Good luck

mcaMOMMY
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Thanks, and i def would NEVER call you stupid for that!! I have been told to go back to school but i dont want to!! im not stupid, just dont like school and like that i can make MORE money with my own business than if i work for someone else!! my kids love that im home and of course, so does my husband ;-) so its all good  now! ill see in a couple of months!! 

peanuteb
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I say if the money is ok and you arent feeling crazy right now-stay home and enjoy the little ones.  You can always go back to more work if it gets to be a strain financially or mentally or when they are in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)