Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Would you take your 3 week old to a big family party?

Posted by   + Show Post
We just had our second child, she is now 2 weeks old. I haven't really gone anywhere with her yet except her doctors appointment. Last week there was an open house for a cousin on my dads side which I didn't attend because she was only a week old and I didn't feel comfortable taking her out. I really thought it would be understandable but apparently not my dad was upset. So there is another open house for another cousin (same side) next weekend. I'm not sure about going. Its been so hot out and she hasn't had any of her immunizations yet. There will be easily over 30 people there that want to hold her.

Am I wrong for not wanting to go? They make me feel as if I'm being super overprotective of her but shes not even a month old. I also feel like if they wanna see her they could just come visit us, but that never happened with my son and don't see it ever happening with her.

So what would you do?
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Replies (21-30):
boshs1andonly
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I took dd to Christmas, she was about 2 weeks. I also carried hand sanitizer and watched people use it before I handed her over.
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ColieO:

I would. I brought my son home thanksgiving day. He attended his own baby shower at 3 days old. I've never been one to stay inside or away from people. Same with my daughter. We were out and about as soon as we left the hospital.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

mnkymommy08
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM
My daughter was 9 weeks early, came home at 6 weeks old and I brought her to my grandfather's birthday party a few days later. I just had people wash their hands/use sanitizer before holding her. She was passed around to everyone and was fine. But do what you are comfortable with. You are the momma after all
Rose12j
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I personally wouldn't.
AshleyOh7
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:19 PM
My pediatrician told me to ask those people who want to be around a newborn, "ARE YOU STUPID?" Lol. Without immunizations and at such a tiny age, she's so vulnerable! Don't let them bully you into taking a chance with your baby's health.

An aside: my phone auto corrected "vulnerable" to "bumbershoot." WTF IS BUMBERSHOOT???
mp0264
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I went through this same issue with my husband's family, when our baby was newborn! I really had to be consistent about what I wanted. Every time they kept asking if we would go out to a party, bbq, or dinner at a restauraunt, I would say "No. Thank you for inviting us though." And they still did not back off, but I didn't back down either. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for not taking that precious baby out! You're the mom. You're in charge. Everyone else can get with that, or get lost! Enjoy your baby while you still can. I hope you find peace with this situation.

amberlavine
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Thank you ladies for all the replies! I guess it does just depend on the individual mama and what the comfort level is. I'm still unsure if I'm going or not but if I go I will take the baby carrier! Can't believe I didn't think of that! I guess what upsets me the most is knowing my family and dad would be mad at me for deciding not to go instead of respecting my choice.
amberlavine
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM
LOL I think a bumbershoot is an umbrella like accessory women used to carry around? I think. Lol autocorrect! Bumbershoot is not in my phones dictionary BUT texting my mom the other day it autocorrected something to "lightersideofmenopause" lol.

Quoting AshleyOh7:

My pediatrician told me to ask those people who want to be around a newborn, "ARE YOU STUPID?" Lol. Without immunizations and at such a tiny age, she's so vulnerable! Don't let them bully you into taking a chance with your baby's health.

An aside: my phone auto corrected "vulnerable" to "bumbershoot." WTF IS BUMBERSHOOT???

Mommy2CXh
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM
My son was born a few days before thanks giving. He attended the huge family dinner and was perfectly fine. He never got sick and everyone in the family must of held him. I am not one to stay away from people. My only concern at that age was bf in public but got over that quick.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I'm comfortable taking my babies places right from the start but for something like that I would want to make sure first that I'd be able to keep her cool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)