Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Would you take your 3 week old to a big family party?

Posted by   + Show Post
We just had our second child, she is now 2 weeks old. I haven't really gone anywhere with her yet except her doctors appointment. Last week there was an open house for a cousin on my dads side which I didn't attend because she was only a week old and I didn't feel comfortable taking her out. I really thought it would be understandable but apparently not my dad was upset. So there is another open house for another cousin (same side) next weekend. I'm not sure about going. Its been so hot out and she hasn't had any of her immunizations yet. There will be easily over 30 people there that want to hold her.

Am I wrong for not wanting to go? They make me feel as if I'm being super overprotective of her but shes not even a month old. I also feel like if they wanna see her they could just come visit us, but that never happened with my son and don't see it ever happening with her.

So what would you do?
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Replies (31-40):
kissmiss213
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM

i took my kids out, but you dont want to, so dont. they dont need to be all butthurt about it.

MommyMartinie
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:59 PM

NO! You are not wrong, you are being safe. Your baby could get RSV. My little brother got it around 3-4 weeks old and was life-flighted to Utah from Wyoming and hospitalized for like a month or 2 and his heart stopped 3 times!! Luckily he mad it, but my mom thinks he got sick because so many people came around. Don't feel bad about not going.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I would, but thats me. Do what you feel is best.

I took my kids out and around family friends and out in public the day we came out of the hospital, I never saw issues with it. But like I said do what you want to do.

AshleyOh7
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Haha how often have you been typing THAT?? Umbrella type, huh? I'll def have to look it up. I was just surprised...like bumbershoot was OBVIOUSLY what I was trying to type over vulnerable. Stupid phone. Lol

Quoting amberlavine:

LOL I think a bumbershoot is an umbrella like accessory women used to carry around? I think. Lol autocorrect! Bumbershoot is not in my phones dictionary BUT texting my mom the other day it autocorrected something to "lightersideofmenopause" lol.

Quoting AshleyOh7:

My pediatrician told me to ask those people who want to be around a newborn, "ARE YOU STUPID?" Lol. Without immunizations and at such a tiny age, she's so vulnerable! Don't let them bully you into taking a chance with your baby's health.

An aside: my phone auto corrected "vulnerable" to "bumbershoot." WTF IS BUMBERSHOOT???

littlecheifsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:58 AM
I would its not rsv or flu season and wouldn't let anyone hold baby
mom_of_twingirl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:26 AM
wow, u think they would be more understanding. i would not take mely baby out to an event like that if it is hot out and if everyone will want to be holding her. i would.tell them.if.they want to see her they know qhere u live. or if you do go. only stay a short time.
chicksdigscars
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Me, yes. We get together every Sunday about 30 plus of us for dinner so my children were doing that at days old.

My sil wouln't leave the house for an entire month (even longer) with my niece. Not something I would do, but it's also not something I would knock another mom for.

AriannaMomma
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM
I probably would go, however, you're not me. Simply tell them "you have not recovered enough for such a function." They'll get over it, and if you say something straight forward and to the point like that instead of snowballing all the reasons, it seems less like excuses and is harder to refute.
SteffM0501
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM

You had every right to decline. I took my daughter to my cousin's thirtieth birthday party despite it's large guest list and the fact that she was only about 23 days old. but they have a huge house and the party itself was outdoors so we said hello and then spent most of the evening in the house. 

kayteebug93
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Is it outside? I'd go if it was outside and I'd wear her that way no one will touch her... and if you're not all cooped up in the house w a bunch of people that's better too. Less chance she'll catch something
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)