Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Would you take your 3 week old to a big family party?

Posted by   + Show Post
We just had our second child, she is now 2 weeks old. I haven't really gone anywhere with her yet except her doctors appointment. Last week there was an open house for a cousin on my dads side which I didn't attend because she was only a week old and I didn't feel comfortable taking her out. I really thought it would be understandable but apparently not my dad was upset. So there is another open house for another cousin (same side) next weekend. I'm not sure about going. Its been so hot out and she hasn't had any of her immunizations yet. There will be easily over 30 people there that want to hold her.

Am I wrong for not wanting to go? They make me feel as if I'm being super overprotective of her but shes not even a month old. I also feel like if they wanna see her they could just come visit us, but that never happened with my son and don't see it ever happening with her.

So what would you do?
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Replies (41-50):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I wouldn't go. I didn't start taking my son out anywhere until he was at least 3 months old.

CafeMom Tickers
cupcake_mom
by KT on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I would go. My dd was only a few days old at Thanksgiving and we had tons of people over and omg they ask held her to.
goddiddlyumshis
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I went food shopping the day after we were discharged. My son was 3 days old. Lol.
At a week old we were at my grandmothers with a crap ton of people for a birthday party.
Your baby will survive lol.
If you're breastfeeding chances are less of your baby getting sick.

I ha someone tell me I should keep my baby inside for 2 months. I laughed right in their face. I have 2 other kids (5 and 18mo), that is impossible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberlavine
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Well I just found out today that my aunt (who's having it at her house) is sick. Fever, chills etc. So I'm leaning more so towards not going OR if its outside for only a little while and no holding. Hopefully my SO doesn't get sick because he was just there yesterday.
katallison
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I'm still pregnant with my first so I haven't had to face this problem yet, but I don't think I am going to keep my baby inside ALL the time. Going out occasionally and for a few hours won't hurt the baby. Just don't let all those people hold the baby. If they can't understand that, then scew them! (: And also I think you should go, just don't plan on staying as long as everyone else but go for a few hours or just one. (:

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM
We went out the day after we got home,then when ds was a couple weeks old dfs family threw a big party for him.....
bellaamore
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM

My daughter didnt go anywhere that wasnt necessary for the first year. I nursed on demand and o i stayed home, too. Though ome times we went places.

At two weeks, ileft her with her dad for grocery trips even and pumped milk.

kmorales7690
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM
This is how I was too. I hated being cooped up. Lol

Quoting ColieO:

I would. I brought my son home thanksgiving day. He attended his own baby shower at 3 days old. I've never been one to stay inside or away from people. Same with my daughter. We were out and about as soon as we left the hospital.
katallison
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Sorry I didn't see this before I posted, hmmm if your aunt is sick and it's at her house and inside, I probably wouldn't go either! I wouldn't want to knowingly take my 3 week old to a sick persons house.

Quoting amberlavine:

Well I just found out today that my aunt (who's having it at her house) is sick. Fever, chills etc. So I'm leaning more so towards not going OR if its outside for only a little while and no holding. Hopefully my SO doesn't get sick because he was just there yesterday.

lovemymini
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I would, but I would wear her in a wrap or sling, that way you can use it as an excuse and keep her covered.. Don't wanna wake a baby sleeping..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN