Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

taking binky away tonight!

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 42 Replies
Any one have advice? Some thing that maybe soothed their little one? Ds will be 2 in august and i cant believe i let him go this long w a binky :( his teeth are starting to go crooked! I feel like the worst mother in the world...one of my friends told me that her 2 yr old dd's dentist said binkys cant form crooked teeth but im thinking other wise. So its going TONIGHT! Any helpful tips? Its going to break my heart but its gotta be done.
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Have you ever taken him to an actual dentist, preferably a pediatric one to gain your own dental advice?  That would be my first step and then i would slowly take away the times he can use it to self soothe.  Try transitioning it onto another object like a teether or a stuffed animal.

JennaPBug
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM

stay strong and firm. first nights the friggin worst, about 2 hrs of crying and begging for bebe back I was almost crying with him lol. But surprisingly after 4 hrs he fell asleep. I think it took about 4 nights before he stopped asking for it. He was almost 2 and 1/2 when we cut it out so dont feel bad

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I don't have any advice, but good luck!

kbutton24
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Dd turns one in three weeks and we weaned her a couple of weeks ago. She really only used it when she's sleepy and ready for a nap/bed so we started by taking it away at nap time then bed time. It took about 4 days total for her to get used to being without it.
Candace8609
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I havnt but im going to. We have been keeping it away during the day. Just giving it at nap and bed times. Dh and i have both been talking about it for awhile but never went through w it :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you ever taken him to an actual dentist, preferably a pediatric one to gain your own dental advice?  That would be my first step and then i would slowly take away the times he can use it to self soothe.  Try transitioning it onto another object like a teether or a stuffed animal.

Candace8609
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM
It was easy on my emotions, sounds totally selfish :(, w my first ds bc i worked evenings. So dh weaned him and it takes alot for the kids to pull at his heart strings. Our older 3 are with their grandma for a week so maybe this week will be good. We can have 1 on 1 time w him and keep him occupied. Im so not looking forward to his crabby time before nap :( i can always tell when hes getting sleepy bc he gets crabby and wants his binky :(

Quoting JennaPBug:

stay strong and firm. first nights the friggin worst, about 2 hrs of crying and begging for bebe back I was almost crying with him lol. But surprisingly after 4 hrs he fell asleep. I think it took about 4 nights before he stopped asking for it. He was almost 2 and 1/2 when we cut it out so dont feel bad

MommyMartinie
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I CAN and will cause crooked teeth. I don't have any experience with binkies and have never given my daughter one, but I wish you luck!

Candace8609
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM
It was easy to wean my older ds. Mainly bc i worked evenings so dh had him to sleep before i got home from work. It hurts my heart to see my babies sad.

Quoting kbutton24:

Dd turns one in three weeks and we weaned her a couple of weeks ago. She really only used it when she's sleepy and ready for a nap/bed so we started by taking it away at nap time then bed time. It took about 4 days total for her to get used to being without it.
Candace8609
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I really wish we wouldnt have given him a bink at all :(

Quoting MommyMartinie:

I CAN and will cause crooked teeth. I don't have any experience with binkies and have never given my daughter one, but I wish you luck!

kbutton24
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I was lucky. She hardly noticed a difference. She cuddles with her blankie more now.

Quoting Candace8609:

It was easy to wean my older ds. Mainly bc i worked evenings so dh had him to sleep before i got home from work. It hurts my heart to see my babies sad.

Quoting kbutton24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN