Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Need Help!!!

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:23 AM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter is 2 1/2.  I am trying to potty train her.. No big deal, right?  Wrong.  I've tried rewards, charts, underwear, everything and still nothing.  She has her own potty and I can get her to sit on it but never without a diaper.  She then pretends to wipe and uses the real potty to flush the toilet paper. 

Maybe I should describe the problems... She is extremely strong-willed.. I mean to the point that stubborn only covers it on her best day.  She acts like she's 5 with everything but her attention span.   She has the attention span of a mouse who just found sugar.  Seriously.  She is super smart, doing things I haven't seen other kids pick up on until I taught them in pre-school.  I know if I could get her to focus I would at least stand a chance.  But I can't.  She uses her intelligence for evil.. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration.  But in all reality she uses her brain to take things apart, or to try to fix things.  She uses the dvd player correctly by herself.  She remembers everything from memory and will use that against me. 

I just don't know how to get her to focus long enough for her to grasp the potty training.  I just don't know what to do next...

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Just drop it for a while...she might be purposely not doing it to piss you off. Or she might just not be ready. My oldest was like that...I had to just let it go and let her decide to do it on her own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Every child is different. Maybe if you drop it a little and she gets tired of pottying on herself she will know what to do.

My daughter show me signs she was ready at the age of 18 months and she was fully potty trained before two. But all of her cousins did it late. So late that one was almost 4 years old before he was. Good luck with her potty training. Don't stress because she will know and not want to do it.

needsomefriends
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I had to sit my two year old in the same room with me on his potty. And I would let him watch pampers potty training video while on sat. . Eventually he got tired of sitting on it and finally went. After he went I gave him just a few m and m. It took a week but he's potty traided now.
mumstheword20
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

try giving her a goal, an achievment/ accomplishment. for example, everytime she uses the potty correctly, put a star on a chart for her, and predetermine "special rewards" for certain amounts of stars that she recieves. and make her understand that when she potties correctly she gets a star, and that the more stars she gets, the better the rewards will be. the rewards dont have to be materialistic things either. maybe she could get an extra cookie at dinner, or pick the restaraunt the next time you go out to eat. things that would make her feel important. if she has a goal to concentrate on and to work towards, then it may be easier for her to focus. you can take my advice with a grain of salt though. i'm only a mom-to-be but i did work at a child development center from 2008 to 2012.

ShireeCS
by Shiree on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM
It doesn't sound like she is ready I would give it some time
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Number 1 I wouldnt use a floor potty EVER, they are useless IMO. I wouldnt do stickers or rewards, I would get rid of the diapers/pullups or whatever you are using and would just do underwear.

Being consistant, and having a routine to follow at home and when you go out to the store etc....just bring lots of clothes. Never scold or punish for accidents EVER no matter what.

My oldest potty trained in 1 day at 12 months old, seriously this kids was behind on everything but potty traning, to this day she has never had 1 single accident.

My middle was fully potty trained by 14 months old, and I am potty training now 16.5 month old, she poops on the potty daily, and pee's a few times a day.

I put her on the toilet as soon as she wakes up in the morning (I use cloth trainers) I put her on 15 minutes ater every meal drink or snack throught the whole day. I also put her on every 45 minutes to an hour through out the day.

I never leave her on for more then 3 minutes time, We read a book that takes 3ish minutes to read. When its done if she has not gone yet, we come back about 10 minutes later. For poops, I know her pooping scheduale and bring her a few more minutes before I know that she usually goes, when done we wipe wash hands and do a big clap, no stickers or rewards other then praise and clapping.

When we go oyt, I keep the same routine as at home and pack her foldable potty seat and bring it with us. Being consitant is the key IMO. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)