Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Uncircumcised question

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 22 Replies

So my son is 9 months old. He is not circumcised. My dr told me to only peel back only once a day. I've been peeling back almost every diaper change. Another dr said to always peel it back. I'm not sure what to do. His tip has been very red and I'm not sure if Its by always peeling it. My dr did give me a cream for it. What's your thoughts. Thanks :)

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Do not retract!!!!!!!! Your doctor obvious knows nothing about intact care. The only one who should retract the foreskin is your son when he is older. The foreskin is there to protect the penis and is still fussed to it. Peeling it back is like ripping off a finger mail, and opens the penis up to bacteria and infection.

My DS is not circumcised and his forskin has not retracted yet, he is 4 1/2. Never once had an infection or problem.
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Get a new doctor,your not supposed to retract the skin EVER
ToolArmy066
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM
This!!!! My son is 2 1/2 and i don't peel it back.

Quoting RheaF:

Do not retract!!!!!!!! Your doctor obvious knows nothing about intact care. The only one who should retract the foreskin is your son when he is older. The foreskin is there to protect the penis and is still fussed to it. Peeling it back is like ripping off a finger mail, and opens the penis up to bacteria and infection.

My DS is not circumcised and his forskin has not retracted yet, he is 4 1/2. Never once had an infection or problem.
ABZ_O
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM
I never heard of this before. My doctor told me around the time my son is ready to potty train it will pull back itself.
RheaF
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Some are not retractable till they are teens. It just depends on the child, and should NEVER be forced.

Quoting ABZ_O:

I never heard of this before. My doctor told me around the time my son is ready to potty train it will pull back itself.
Allons-y
by Rose Tyler on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Never ever retract it. Just wipe it like a finger. Sometimes you can pull on it SLIGHTLY to get gunk but if you retract before it's ready, you can seriously hurt him. If it's red, leave it be for a few days, keep the tip clean but let it heal. If it hasn't improved or gets worse, take him to a new pedi.
Allons-y
by Rose Tyler on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Most kids retract it themselves when it's time. Some don't even retract until puberty.
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM
This!

My son is circ, but even I know this.

Quoting RheaF:

Kayla060812
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 16 1/2 months and I never peel back. I clean when it needs to be clean. Bath time does the necessary cleaning... Please be careful. oh and we have never had any infections ot redness.

coupon_ash_back
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Omg ... No.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)