Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Classical C-section

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM
  • 10 Replies

Have any of you had one?  After 12 hours of labor with DD1, the doctors decided it would be better to take me in for a c-section because labor wasn't advancing anymore and my lil girl just was not having this whole being born thing.  After they gave more anesthesia through my epi line, I was pretty out of it.  Literally all I remember from her birth is laying there, getting my arms strapped down, and hearing her cry for about 10 seconds.  The rest of it is a blur of just white and red colors like a dream in my memory.  I remember waking up knowing she was out of me and just thinking "I'm a mom now" even though I hadn't even seen her yet (apparently I was so out of it, I missed the part where they showed her to me).  They finished stapling me up and I spent essentially the whole next day in a recovery room (she was born just before 1AM).

Anyway, I didn't really think about what type of c-section I'd had until I was home taking care of it 5 days later.  That's really when I realized that I didn't have a normal, modern cesarian.  Nope, I don't have a "normal" little bikini cut scar like other people in my family.  My scar goes from right under my belly button down to the top of my pubic hair.  I didn't even realize they were still being performed.  I didn't really think my life or my baby's life were in such danger that the doctors would cut the outside one way and my uterus another.

I was just wondering if any of you have had a classical c-section and what your experiences were.  I've yet to meet anyone and am usually just stared at like a freak when other moms are talking about their operations and scars.  For DD2 I opted to have them just cut over my original scar as a sort of corrective thing and had a much better experience.  The med student that took my staples out after that one was hilarious to me.  She apologized after every staple and kept talking about how she'd never seen someone with this type of scar and so many staples (I think I had ~21 that time).  Poor girl.

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:46 AM

I never heard of classical c-sections versus modern.  I thought everyone did it the same way.  Let me add I have never had one but my mom had 2 or 3.  She had a horizontal scar, not vertical and 2 of us kids are in our 30s.

Amiehart62
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:56 AM
I have one of each. My youngest was born at 27 weeks so they cut me classic because he was so little and they didn't want to deal with scar tissue.
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I had the bikini cut csection but my doctor did ask which one I wanted. And being that I seen my mother's and my sil's scar I said no thanks on the down the middle of my stomach.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Mine is horizontal and my moms was vertical.
*edited.
kstorm234
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Mine is horizontal. I think I'd be really upset if I had a vertical cut.
txlmr
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I wish I'd had the option to choose which to have.  I was upset for a few months afterward about it, but now it's just a part of who I am.  Not like I have a time machine to go back and make myself lucid enough to make sure what was going on.

theosgirl45
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

My cousins wife had a vertical csection.  They told her it was because of how overweight she was.  They were worried that it would be difficult for her to take care of a bikini cut and didn't want to risk it setting up an infection.

In vain he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Mine was horizontal.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Wow, I didn't know they even did those anymore unless the situation was very unique.

I had a bikini cut both times. In 2005 with a planned c-section and 2010 with an emergency one.

I'd freak if someone have me a vertical one.
txlmr
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Quoting theosgirl45:

My cousins wife had a vertical csection.  They told her it was because of how overweight she was.  They were worried that it would be difficult for her to take care of a bikini cut and didn't want to risk it setting up an infection.

I think that's essentially why they cut vertically for me was because of my weight.  My aunt was much heavier than I was (a good 50 lbs) when she had my cousin in 2006 and she brags to me all the time that she has a horizontal cut and you can't even see it much anymore.  I think it ultimately depends on what the dr and hospital is comfortable with.  Irony of my first csection was that it got infected anyway despite diligent care on my part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)