Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I hate this whole bottle to sippy cup thing!!!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you have a problem getting your child to switch from a bottle or breast to a sippy cup?

Options:

Yes!

No

At First Yes!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

My daughter is now a year old. I am a first time mom and really dumb when it comes to time sensitive things! Our old pediatrician didn't tell me at her 9 month check up cause she was sick and needed a shot that I needed to start transitioning from a bottle to a sippy cup! So, we have a new pediatrician that told me that she should almost be off the bottle! So this is really hard getting her off of the bottle and on to a sippy cup. She likes all sippy cups she doesn't have any one that she likes in particular. She will drink juice from them and formula but not whole milk. She refuses whole milk even if it's warm or cold it doesn't matter! Please I really need advice! My mother had babysat her for a few days and gave her the bottle when she went down for a nap so now that's another thing she has to have to go to sleep! I need help and advice soooo badly!!! Please how do I get her to drink whole milk in a sippy cup and give up her bottle during the day and at nap time and at night!? HELP!!!!!!!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazy4u49033
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Try mixing formula with the milk. Start with mostly formula and every few days increase milk and decrease formula.
My first easily gave up the bottle, but my 2nd is going to be a pain I think. He will drink only water out of the sippy. Don't worry to much about timelines and such. As long as your lo does have the bottle in a year you are doing fine :)
MaryS92
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Yeah I heard about that and I put 4oz of formula now and 4 oz of whole milk. I will keep that up since I hear a lot that it does work! I thought it wasn't cause she doesn't seem to want the sippy cup with whole milk. We use the toddler formula now since it has more stuff that's designed for toddlers. I just am really afraid of teeth rot and her having a lot of problems with speech later on if she doesn't get off of the bottle....

Quoting crazy4u49033:

Try mixing formula with the milk. Start with mostly formula and every few days increase milk and decrease formula.
My first easily gave up the bottle, but my 2nd is going to be a pain I think. He will drink only water out of the sippy. Don't worry to much about timelines and such. As long as your lo does have the bottle in a year you are doing fine :)

erin708
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM
My kids had their bottles til they were two. Only in the morning and night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
his88angel
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I had problems with my son until someone told me to try the nuk sippy cups. Its got little handles for them and the nipple on it is so unlike any others.
geekymom08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Start with 25 percent whole milk 75 formula and then move to 50/50... Then 75/25 then completely whole milk!

I would just keep working on it! Remember... Those are guidelines! She will let it go one day! I would keep offering it to her in a sippy and hope she breaks down and takes it. Maybe you could offer it for a few minutes and increase the amount of time you let her have it in a sippy before you put it in a bottle. Start at 3 minute... And each week up it a minute.
MaryS92
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM

The only time she demands a bottle is when she goes to bed now. She will go the whole day without it but the second she starts to get tired and ready for her nap or bedtime she will scream until she gets a formula bottle. I tried water she threw it and screamed more. I tried whole milk and she did the same thing! So I just put her to bed it's 9:18pm here and she has the bottle with 6oz of formula and 2oz of water. I am going to try to just get her onto a water bottle at night and nap time so at least she won't have the sugars in her mouth. I just hope once it's an all water bottle I can give her a sippy cup of water instead or a bottle of water!

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I gave my girls a sippy cup with water at 3 months, a straw cup at 4 months, and they only were on a bottle for before a nap and bedtime form 6 months and up. My oldest was 9 months when she weaned herself from a bottle and only has straw cups.My middle was 11 months old when she weaned to just straw cups, and my now 17 month old was 10 months when she weaned to a 360 rim cup, at meals she drinks from an open cup and in the day uses a 360 cup or a straw cup.

apparently formula with milk or water is a good way to do it, not sure I have never done it before.

CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM

We had no trouble. None of my children had a bottle, so I just started offering a little water in a sippy around 7 months. At first they would just chew on the top but caught on quickly..  I still nursed till well after a year so it was just practice.

Your daughter may not like milk, she doesn't need it. Try some almond milk instead.

kissmiss213
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM

it was different with each child. dd didnt like the sippy but she was easy going. ds#1 didnt like it at all, ds#2 had no issues.

LilTymomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM

So does she still drink formula? or Does she only drink whole milk from a bottle?

What I did was that when he turn 1 I got rid of the bottles and gave him whole milk in a sippy cup altogether. 

You can also try buying a sippy cup that has a similar spout as a bottles nipple, it might actually still be a nipple but from a sippy. 

Love Always,

Angel

typing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)