Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

When strangers talk to your children...

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:22 AM
  • 26 Replies
Does it bother you?
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamma_jr
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Extremely. Especially since my DD is super friendly and will talk to anyone that will listen. We've been teaching her stranger danger and she's getting better.

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:59 AM

It depends what they say.  In general no it does not bother me since we do alot of playground fun.  You will always meet someone new there.  When a child approaches me, i ask where their parents are so that i know where to direct them for help.  My dd has approached other adults to help her tie her shoes when i was standing right there LOL.   She is not supposed to talk to anyone unless we are right by her for the safety reasons.

KyBugsMommy815
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Not generally, no. Most people just coo at DD and tell her how cute she is before getting on with their lives though, at this point. As DD gets a little older I may feel differently, depending on how open and friendly she is though.

CJsMommy92
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Not really, I only mind if strangers touch him.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Yes because I don't know them and I am not comfortable with them talking to my baby. But my baby looks at me before I give her the go head to be nice and say hi back.

erin708
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
My 7 yo may talk back but my 3yo won't even make eye contact with some ppl we know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simple-Beauty
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM
4 moms liked this

No. I want my kids to be polite and respectful, and also feel comfortable enough to ask a stranger for help if they ever find themselves in a scary or bad situation. I've been the stranger who helped a lost child before, and I know her mother was thankful that she was willing to stop and talk to me.

We teach our kids to watch out for "tricky people", and that includes anyone who tries to lure them away with gifts or treats, and the usual things a parent would want their child to be aware of.

SheciaBaby
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM
For the most part this town is everyone knows everyone. But occasionally I don't like it. My oldest is mixed and youngest is black.. Most people take to only one if my kids. They see one as beautiful and ignore the other and I'm like why ... It makes me on guard.
witchiipooh
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

This is a very good question. I can't comment on how I feel yet as I am carrying my first. But coming from the "strangers" end I get a lost of crap and dirty looks from people by talking to their children. Now I've worked retail for 7 years and am a very friendly people person. I don't just walk up to children and start blabbing to them, but if a boy is at like a register and I am helping the cashier and he says "look at my new Thor shirt" I am not going to be rude and not answers him. I instead am going to say "Oh wow, you know The Hulk is my favorite  avenger, is Thor your's?" But just my saying things like that I have been yelled at by parents and/or seen them yell at their children for talking to strangers. So I guess/hope for most people it depends on the situation, but if you don't like your children talking to people I guess you should keep them home.

midjet117
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM
No cuz usually they pop out with something random like "I like your shirt" or. "You have pretty ear rings". But if a stranger touches them then it would bother me. My youngest generally doesn't like new ppl.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)