Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

And this is my mother!?!?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
  • 12 Replies
My mom sent me a text today and I really don't know how to reply back without getting into a fight with her. I was in need of a bigger table and we just moved in our new house so money was a little tight so couldn't afford to go out and buy a new dining table, so my mom said she give me her table she didn't need it anymore so when we were moving we went and picked it up and took it home. The next day my mom mentions to me she wanted $100 for it, I wish she would of said something the day we got it because we didnt have the extra to spare so she said I could pay her in a couple of weeks. Well today she sent me a message saying "hi it's your mom your coming in the morning to give me $100 for the table and lending me $100" no please no thank you no nothing just very demanding. I told her earlier this week I would be by Friday with money for the table and I wasnt sure if I could lend the money I had to wait and see because my DH and I are going to Canada's wonderland Saturday I have to do go grocery shopping Friday and pay some bills so I don't think I can and after that text I shouldn't it was rude of her. My mom always has been like that though anything she doesn't want and thinks I might want it she doesn't give it she wants money, okay for some things I understand because she cost alot and some things are just a little ridiculous like she thought I would like her simple black round coffee table she wanted $20 for it when she didnt even pay that much, a DVD VCR combo she wanted $50 for it and funny thing is I bought that for her for Christmas, she had 20 Dora movies that my sister grew out of and she knows my boys like Dora and wanted $200 for them, and a box of some Dora toys she wanted $75 for them. I know all of these things cost money but things do lose their value and she would ask for a lot of money for the things she no longer wants especially to ask her own daughter to pay for. And one thing ill never forget was few years ago I was sick and I had no soup and my ex was at work I couldn't get to the store my mom was in town and I asked her if she could pick me up a can of soup which is only 69 cents now my wallet was in my van which was at my ex job and you think I would have change kicking around I didn't cause of course my mom wanted her darn 69 cents back yep this is my mom and has always been like this with me for as long as I could remember!! Now I just don't know what to say without blowing up and getting all worked up and angry at her for the very rude and demanding text message!!
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LongBeachLiz
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Can you just give her the table back?
esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Pretend not to be home or send her a reminder text that you will drop off the $100 for the table on Friday. Or simply tell her that she can come pick up the table if she would like.
rory10
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Pretend you didn't get it (they do sometimes get delayed between towers and who knows what else. Remind her you'll be my with the table money but checked and can't afford to lend anything this time.

Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Tell her you said you will be by Friday with money for the table. If she is in that much of a bind she can come get it back. Quit getting things from her and don't lend her any money. Sounds like she's gotten enough from you. Stand your ground on it and she'll get it.
threat
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Tell her you'll be over friday to drop off the $100 dollars for the table and that's it. Tell her you can't afford to lend her the extra money. Personally I think you should also tell her that it's rude of her for just telling you to lend her $100 and that you're a grown adult that she needs to respect you and stop treating you like a child. I know it's hard but she needs to be told or she will just continue to treat you like this.
Cherrybomb1989
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I turned my phone off because I told her I would make sure to give her the $100 for the table but I won't be able to afford to lend her also $100 but she just wouldn't quit messaging me so I had no choice but to turn my phone off.

Quoting rory10:

Pretend you didn't get it (they do sometimes get delayed between towers and who knows what else. Remind her you'll be my with the table money but checked and can't afford to lend anything this time.

rory10
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I'm so sorry. If it wasn't your mom I'd say get the number blocked

Quoting Cherrybomb1989:

I turned my phone off because I told her I would make sure to give her the $100 for the table but I won't be able to afford to lend her also $100 but she just wouldn't quit messaging me so I had no choice but to turn my phone off.

Quoting rory10:

Cherrybomb1989
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Changing my number has crossed my mind and not giving her my new number

Quoting rory10:

I'm so sorry. If it wasn't your mom I'd say get the number blocked

Quoting Cherrybomb1989:

Quoting rory10:

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM
I totally get this only it isn't my mom, its my in-laws. They drive me nuts. If we borrow their truck, it has to come back with a full tank, even if we got it on empty. We pay them rent to stay in their mother in law apartment while we wait on our house to close. We pay $1,000 a month and do many other things for them. My mil is on our phone contract because they are going through bankruptcy and she wanted to switch phone carriers and pay more a month to do it. His dad went out and bought a car and put his name and my dh' name on it so we could ensure it since his dad wasn't supposed to buy a new car while going through bankruptcy. But god forbid we get anything without paying for it. They have taken stuff to goodwill rather than give it to us... yeah, totally ridiculous.

Me and my in-laws have way more issues than that so I kind of understand your pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Sorry that your own mother treats you this way :(.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN