Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How to Tell your Employer

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 15 Replies

So my wonderful other half and I found out in April that we are expecting our first child together and couldn't be more then thrilled. The concern that i have is actually making this public knowledge to my employer, since this is not a position I have been in before. With my first pregnancy I wasn't working at the time. Currently I have been with my company 10 months and am almost at the half way mark for my term.  I am not even sure how to approach my employer since he is one of those bosses that almost makes you feel uncomfortable. I was hoping that I would have a chance to tell him during reviews but nothing ever came up. Now I am sitting here procrastinating even more, almost to the point of being terrified. Can anyone offer ideas as to how this subject should be addressed. Lets face it I am only going to be at my place of work for max of 4 months so any input would be DEEPLY appreciated. Thanksshrugging

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilangel_4206
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Just tell him. The longer you wait the more uncomfortable you will feel
Dibsy
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I had to tell my bosses immediately after I found out- I'm talking the day I got the positive test- because I could no longer be in the X-ray room to assist and we had patients that day needing X-rays. Nerve wracking. But you'll feel better after you tell him. What could he say?? He could be rude about it but that just means he's a jerk. Nothing against you and shouldn't demean your amazing news!
JessiFaye
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I told my boss right away, because I needed to miss work for some appointments. I was nervous to tell her because the only reason I have this job is because the previous girl left for maternity leave and decided not to come back... so I didn't want her to feel like it was  happening all over again.

Depending o your company set-up, you could speak with HR first to make sure you're armed with all the pertinant information, if you think he's going to cause a scene about it.

Other than that, you just need to ask to meet with him and come out with it. Like pulling off a band-aid.

jlmc
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Wait until you are in labor and be like hey by the way... I need a few days off haha. Aww just tell him don't stress, it probably isnt going to be as bad as you think.

Dibsy
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Hahahaha.

The whole time just pretend she's been hitting the donuts hard to put on the pounds!

Laughed so hard at this.

Quoting jlmc:

Wait until you are in labor and be like hey by the way... I need a few days off haha. Aww just tell him don't stress, it probably isnt going to be as bad as you think.

Allons-y
by Rose Tyler on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Say, I'm pregnant bitch! And throw the piss stick at his face.
CutieCrab
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Just tell him. 

CutieCrab
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM

rolling on floor DO THIS!  But then you may lose your job...  But it sounded funny!

Quoting Allons-y:

Say, I'm pregnant bitch! And throw the piss stick at his face.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I told my boss right away because my job required lots of heavy lifting. My boss was a woman though and I had been there 4 years before I got pregnant. I would have been more nervous if my boss was a man too, but probably would have still told right away because of the lifting. Just tell him, you will feel better once you do.

witchiipooh
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM
It's really not that bad. I was unsure because my manager was very new and he just had this dry attitude but where I had to do a lot of lifting and funking hours making it hard to make appointments I just told him. And he's been so sweet to me, making everything easier and even went out and bought me Ben & Jerry's when I had a hormonal breakdown at work lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN