Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

sending kids to bed without dinner

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 69 Replies
1 mom liked this
My dd is starting to be a picky eater and we are staying with my mil for awhile.she cooks a lot of pork.my dd does not like it all that much (she'll eat ham but thats about it).
One night she made ribs and my dd did not eat them and asked if she can have something else.i said yes, a sandwich.my mil was not happy that i did that.she said that my dd needs to eat what is made for dinner or go to bed without dinner.my dd just turned 3.i dont think its okay for a 3 y/o to go to bed hungry.

Does anyone else agree with what i did?
Anyone elses los getting picky?
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TempestRayne
by Donna on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with your MIL. You are setting yourself up for troubled times if you let your three year old dictate what she eats in that manner. She isn't going to let herself starve to death if you make her sit at the table with a plate full of what everybody else is eating and not letting herself have anything else.
rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM
3 moms liked this

My 3 year old is a bit picky as well. I figure that I'm going to pick my battles with my kids. My mom got mad at me over the weekend because I made the kids something different than what they had planned to eat. But you know what? The kids ate. To me, that's all that matters. You can tell your MIL that you're her mom and you make the decisions about her and her food.

rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you eat food you don't like? I know that I don't. If someone's cooking chicken, I'm not going to eat it. Simple as that. I'd be pretty pissed if that person told me that I can't have a single thing else to eat because I don't eat meat. 

Quoting TempestRayne:

I agree with your MIL. You are setting yourself up for troubled times if you let your three year old dictate what she eats in that manner. She isn't going to let herself starve to death if you make her sit at the table with a plate full of what everybody else is eating and not letting herself have anything else.

Chunkymunkey922
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
If its something you know 100% that they do not like, i see nothing wrong with making something else if they aren't able. But it would be like a sandwhich, not a whole meal. If they're just being stubbron, then no they dont get anything else.
I actually put my three yr old to bed the other night wo dinner. After 45 min she had eaten like two bites. I set a timer for 15 min and told her when it buzzed dinner time was over. Of course she didn't eat. And it was a cheeseburger, she loves cheeseburgers! So the timer went off and I gave her one more chance and she still wouldn't eat so I put it up. An hr later she told me she was hungry and I heated up her dinner and she still wouldn't eat. So she didnt eat... Last night she ate every bite of her dinner and even asked for more and ate a bowl full of grapes and popcorn.
TempestRayne
by Donna on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I do, or I go to bed hungry, actually. I would rather not eat at all than have hot dogs, for example.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Do you eat food you don't like? I know that I don't. If someone's cooking chicken, I'm not going to eat it. Simple as that. I'd be pretty pissed if that person told me that I can't have a single thing else to eat because I don't eat meat. 

Quoting TempestRayne:

esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
I agree that if they aren't going to eat what is on their plate then they shouldn't be given other options. Specially if they won't even try it. But I'm not one to say you have to eat everything on your plate either.
However I don't feel that it is your MILs choice. If you are fine with making two meals for the rest of your daughters life that is no one else's business.
missmonkeysma
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM
i agree with making just a sandwich, but thats only when dd doesnt like the meal, not when shes being stubbron

Quoting Chunkymunkey922:

If its something you know 100% that they do not like, i see nothing wrong with making something else if they aren't able. But it would be like a sandwhich, not a whole meal. If they're just being stubbron, then no they dont get anything else.

I actually put my three yr old to bed the other night wo dinner. After 45 min she had eaten like two bites. I set a timer for 15 min and told her when it buzzed dinner time was over. Of course she didn't eat. And it was a cheeseburger, she loves cheeseburgers! So the timer went off and I gave her one more chance and she still wouldn't eat so I put it up. An hr later she told me she was hungry and I heated up her dinner and she still wouldn't eat. So she didnt eat... Last night she ate every bite of her dinner and even asked for more and ate a bowl full of grapes and popcorn.

missmonkeysma
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Shes 3 and doesnt like ribs and a lot of meals that involve pork, i believe its okay.
I never said ill do it for the rest of her life.

Quoting esox:

I agree that if they aren't going to eat what is on their plate then they shouldn't be given other options. Specially if they won't even try it. But I'm not one to say you have to eat everything on your plate either.

However I don't feel that it is your MILs choice. If you are fine with making two meals for the rest of your daughters life that is no one else's business.

rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow. I find that a bit ridiculous. People have different tastes and there's no reason to go hungry just because someone else put something on your plate that you don't like. 

Quoting TempestRayne:

I do, or I go to bed hungry, actually. I would rather not eat at all than have hot dogs, for example.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Quoting TempestRayne:

jojo_star
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. If my kids don't like what I'm making, they can make themselves something else, since they're old enough to do that, but when they were younger, yes, I'd make them something quick and easy like a sandwich. I don't understand why so many people expect kids to eat and like everything. I don't eat and like everything, why should my kids? And why should I try to force them to eat something they don't like? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)