Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Thinking of going back to school - Update added :)

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Would it be so bad for me to stay here for one more year to better our future?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

I'm currently a stay at home mom. I always dreamed of going to college and we are in a situation right now where we should be trying to move as soon as possible, but we're also in a position where if I stay here for just one more year I can get an associates degree in medical administration and make more than minimum wage when I graduate.  The situation as it is now is I live in a 500 sq foot one bedroom apartment with 2 foster dogs and 2 of my own dogs and we have our daughter set up in the living room.  If we move I just couldn't  afford the books and to drive back and forth to school.  Would it be too bad to stay put for one more year so I can better our future?

UPDATE:

I want to first thank everyone who responded and encouraged me.. it was the last little push I needed.  I went and applied to the college today and filled out my financial aide paperwork.  I'm hoping to start in the fall! By this time next year I will be gearing up for graduation! Thanks everyone!

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't vote, but I think if you can handle living in that small place, I'd go back to school.  It will be worth it in the end.

MissTuree
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Only one year for an Associates? Is it an accelerated course? 

Anyways, a year isn't long and it's worth it to achieve your goals and put your family in a position to do even better in life. :)

thefinalfall13
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM

It is an accelerated course and it is very stressful being this cramped at times (although I'm having a big yard sale this weekend to part with some of this clutter) but  I think the sacrafice will be worth it in the end.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

For one more year, I would just do it! I agree with you, I think your sacrifice will be worth it!

thefinalfall13
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies :) I'm going to go for it!

coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, apply for FASFA. Your left over FASFA is for you and maybe use that for housing and putting money on a gas card.
thefinalfall13
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I had no idea you could do that! I will be applying for financial aid, but I honestly did not know they would give you over what you owed the college! That's amazing!!

coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting thefinalfall13:

I had no idea you could do that! I will be applying for financial aid, but I honestly did not know they would give you over what you owed the college! That's amazing!!

most get thousands back after tuition/books, the amount really depends on your award amount and tuition cost. This gives people a chance to hopefully spend it wisely such as on transportation, housing/dorm, other necessities such as food,toiletries,etc. but of course you can use it however you see fit.
EMMYBEARSMOMMY
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I would defintely apply for fafsa. I only got enough to pay tution but it helped us for sure!
supermomwife09
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say stay if it will be betterin the long run! And I'm going back to school too in Novemeber and I did the FAFSA thing online and I qualify for almost twice as much as I need to go back to school each semester...but I'll find out in September exactly how much I'll get and what I'll have leftover after paying for everything

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)