• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TV Is Really, Really Bad for Kids

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

TV Is Really, Really Bad for Kids

by Adriana Velez

flat screen tvI already knew TV was kind of bad for kids -- but I didn't know it was bad for kids in this way. Apparently a falling TV set sends a kid to the ER every 30 minutes. Falling TVs! The emergency room! Every 30 minutes! It's an epidemic. I can't believe this is the first time I've ever heard of it. But there you are: Falling television sets pose a clear and present danger to our children.

I would think that the popularity of flat-screen TVs would make these injuries a thing of the past. But surprisingly, falling TV injuries increased 125 percent from 1990 to 2011. They're actually more dangerous. Doctors think it's a combination of there being more TVs in most homes and of families placing their sets on the wrong kinds of furniture. Have we just not learned how to safely store flat-screen TVs?

Half of these injuries happen when a set is on an entertainment system and a little less than half occur when the set is on top of a dresser. When people replace their older set with a flat-screen TV, they often end up just using the same furniture to store it. But that flat-screen set is less stable than an old-fashioned set, and that makes it easier for a child to tip it over.

Pediatrician and author of the study Dr. Gary Smith says, "This is a serious problem. A child’s dying once every three weeks from a TV tip-over. The numbers are going up. This is a call to action. These are 100 percent preventable injuries.”

Okay, so then how do you prevent these injuries? By securing your set. You need to either anchor your television directly to a wall, or anchor it to a piece of furniture and anchor that to a wall. Avoid putting anything else on that same shelf that your child might want to climb and grab, like toys or a remote control.

I'm sorry I just gave you a new project for the weekend. But it sounds like this is pretty darn important! Fasten those sets, parents.

Did you know falling TV set injuries were so common?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MelanieMans
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Why would you not be keeping an eye on your child in the first place. My son would have to shake our tv violently for it to fall on him
k9l1c5
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Yes, that's why for one I watch my child and for two, alot of our furniture and things are secured to the wall.

villagemamma
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM

My sister had a tv fall on her foot when we were younger. i am way more careful about my tv. and honestly tv's now days are mainly those lighter flat screens. i think it would hurt the tv more than my daughter

thetardis
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Yup. We have a tiny TV and no cable so we don't really have to worry about it. We're not a big TV family.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Rach0307
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Wow, I didn't realize it was that common! Our tv stand is a lot shorter than my son, but he's 4. When he was younger and didn't understand safety issues like he does now, he was never out of my sight around stuff like that anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:35 AM
My daughter pulled a tv on herself last September. She was two and it was on a stand with the stand anchored to wall. The tv was older and was not that big so I wasn't super concerned about it. One day she tried to climb the tv stand (which was in the playroom) and it tipped forward just enough for the tv to slide forward. It landed on her leg and she fractured her ankle. I learned my lesson and immediately went and bought a new tv so I could strap it down and a strap for our other tv. It just has to happen once for you to quickly learn your lesson. I tell parents all the time now to learn from my mistake. I thought I was doing the right thing by strapping down the stand and it still wasn't enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyMommy13
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM

The 3 tv's we have in our home are all wall mounted. My husband had a tv fall on him as a child and is very "anal" about it. So everything is mounted with extra bolts and screws.

OBImomma
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Yep! I did now that. We have 2 tvs. The one in the family room is anchored to the wall. The one in the basement (used when we get severe storms to watch the weather) is secured to a shelf and the wall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

scary. i knew that though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)