Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

and what are good finger foods?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 24 Replies
My son is 9 monthes old and I've heard thats a good time to start finger foods. Being a first time mom I just get really nervice about a lot of things. I have tried giving him mashed up foods like mashed potatoes but everytime I have tried he gags and ends up spitting up. Is that just his way of saying he doesn't like it or could he not be ready? Because I have tried other things he has been ok with like mashed chick peas, yogurt, it just makes me really nervice that he will choke if I give him anything real solid. What are some reccomendations for finger foods at this age?
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermomwife09
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

It could be he doesnt like them or maybe it was too thick for him to swallow...we started with fries and these things called gerber graduates yogurt melts...they're small and pretty much just melt in their mouths and taste pretty good too =]...they also have the little pouches with the baby food in it instead of the jar and they just drink it..and gerber also has there things called puffs with different flavors...I always went to target and went where they have all the baby stuff and just kinda experimented with things for whatever age group my son was in to see if he liked it or not thats really all you can do...you just gotta find what he likes and go with it!! I hope this helps...if you have anymore questions let me know =] I'm a first time mom too and my son is now 3 and healthy and super smart so I must be doing something right lol

jacobsmommy1020
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Thanks, I have seen the gerber snacks like the puffs and yogurt melts just wasnt sure what age was ok to give them to babys gerber doesn't have specific age groups on their food it just says crawler and my son doesn't crawl yet so wasn't sure if that ment he shouldn't eat them.

erinf28
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

You could boil veggies like carrots to make them really soft. I also boiled chicken so it was easier for my daughter to eat. Cheerios are really good, cut up bananas, corn, peas. She loved the puffs. Also, there is a rice cracker called mum-mums. They melt in their mouths like puffs but they are ovals that teach kids to hold the food and bite off. It took my daughter a couple tries to get it down, but after she got the hang of it they were her favorite snack.

Froglili
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM

My daughter seems to love her whole wheat pancakes. I also use fresh fruit puree on a slice of bread for eating and I roll it and microwave it so it cools and turns hardish as a sort of teething biscuit for her as well.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM

My daughter will be one next month. She eats steamed or boiled veggies - like carrots, potatoes, broccoli, green beans... cut up bananas, peaches, watermelon, cantaloupe. We waited on all grains until she started cutting her molars which was just last week, so she has just recently tried rice and liked it. But not the baby rice cereal, real rice. All of these things other than the rice she started eating as soon as we started on solids which was around 7 months.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Oh yeah and she also ate chicken, beef roast and the meat from ribs. I just cut the meat into bite sized pieces that she can pick up. Just remember that it is normal for the babies to gag (they have a strong gag reflex), and that there is a difference between gagging and choking.

colorado_mama2
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM

i agree with the Gerber things for babies. he is 9 months old he can have them. just keep trying new things and he will get used to the different taste. good luck

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Bananas, peas, Puffs
theosgirl45
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Your son is named Jacob and was born in October 2012?

In vain he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.

ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM

what the other ladies have said

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN