Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

working moms, I have a question for you.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have a 2 year old ds and I recently started a job working the third shift at a alf. So basically I work all night, sleep a little during the day and try to be a great mom and wife. My question is how do you balance everything? I feel so much guilt about not being there for my son (my mom was absent a lot during my childhood) I don't want to be supermom, I just want to be a great mom.
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MistyMoo
by Amber on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I have lot and support from my mom and my boyfriend. They're wonderful. I don't work a whole lot. I basically get to make my own schedule... For a good portion of it anyways.. Sometimes I can sneak in a nap and if I can't I usually pop a vitamin B complex, it gives me more energy.
brittcw87
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Bless your heart! Third shift is horrible. My husband is a police officer and works third shift and he is always so tired. I can't imagine being a mom and trying to do all of your mommy jobs on so little sleep. Luckily, I work during the day. I'm not one to stress over a clean house (I probably should stress a little more). I keep the kitchen and bathrooms clean and the laundry done but basically I just do what I can when I can. If my DD ask me to play with her I usually try and do that for at least 30 minutes or so and make sure I give her my full attention for that 30 minutes. Its very hard for me not to feel overwhlemed sometimes. I hope you find something that works well for you and your family :)

MacensMommy228
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I work nights. I just do the best I can. I try to have set days for laundry. I try to pick upe every day. I am starting the nursing prog in aug. So I am going be extremely overwhelmed, but it will be worth it. Just take it day by day mama that's all u can do!
AspenD
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I would try to work 2nd shift and be home 12 or 1 so you could get more sleep I also take vitamin B12 daily I put my baby in daycare 2-3 times a week I feel super guilty leaving her but I try to think of it as time for her to socialize and we are never apart when im off work to make up for it. I think as moms we will always feel guilty for most thing we shouldn't. Nap when he does that helps to and maybe on the nights you're off you can co sleep together and you can gi to bed early with him so you can catch up on sleep good luck!
STLEMD0412
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:19 AM

I'm a single mom that works full time from 6p-6a 3-4 nights a week. My mother takes care of my daughter, 15 months old, while I'm working. There's days where it's really rough trying to be up and taking care of her and spending time with her during the day when I'm exhausted and need to be asleep for work that night, along with keeping up with my house and everything else. My best advice is not to let everything pile up on you at once. And coffee is my best friend lol. I do have my days though where I don't feel like I spend enough time with her, or do enough with her before I go to work and it does make me feel guilty, but I know I'm doing the best that I can for the situation that I'm in.

CmC1307
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

i work full time days so i only get about 1.5-2 hrs a day with my DD if im lucky. The weekends are sooo special, we never really go out becasue we both want to spend our weekends with her. If we do go out on a date together, grandma watches her and we wait to leave until an hour or so before she goes to bed so that we get the whole day with her. You make it work because you have to ya know. I have actually chosen though to open a home daycare in january. ill be bringing in the same $ but be able to be home with my DD and my other one on the way. Try not to feel guilty just make the time you do have quality time. They always say its the quality not the quantity thats important

lilbit53009
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

i've never felt guilt for working. when i got pregnant the thought of staying home never crossed my mind (other than that it's something i'd always wish to do just because i don't like working in general lol).

i don't know many SAHM. it wasn't until i got on CM that i realized so many woman still stay home by choice. where i live the only SAHM's i know are either really rich or got laid off and are just home while looking for work.

sending my son to daycare was just something normal everyone i knew did. so it never bothered me. i guess it helped he was also in a home daycare that one of the guys i work with wife ran out of their house. i got really close with her so it was like he was going to families house everyday and i know she loved and cared for him like family.

he's 4 and in preschool now

boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM

that's a good question. i feel the same way too, my mom was in a different country for 5 years, then she was busy working 2 jobs. i mean she tried, but she wasn't really around a lot so I want something different for my daughter. i've learned that it's about setting priorities. there really isn't much that can't wait until tomorrow kwim? also try to get a routine down for what you do, it will let you do things so much quicker. 

ShireeCS
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I work full time and I am a single parent. On your days off spend as much time you can with your child. Dont stress if things arnt done or if a plan changes just roll with it and you being relaxed will help you become a great mom! Working 3rd shift sucks when you have a child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN