Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I have sleep paralysis...

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM
  • 6 Replies
I wake paralyzed, I can not move, not even open my eyes. My brain is awake and I can hear. I panic and feel like someone is going to get me or something and I can't get away. It's terrifying. Sometimes I feel like I'm floating and watching my body from above. I wish there was something I could do about this.

Anybody else have this?
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I do not have this :/. What you are describing sounds scary though.

Ciem_mua
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I had the same problem:( except I'd wake, couldn't move or yell, but heard scary noises. I was taught to try and move a small muscle. Instead of trying to sit up, try wiggling your toes or fingers. So now when you wake and can't move, calm down, wiggle your toes, and soon after youll be able to snap out of it.

LiesLiesLies
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Yes...for me (like most) stress increases the occurrences.

Try meditating/yoga/breathing techniques before bed and that may help.

Also I sleep with the TV on and it helps:)
erin708
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM
That's happened to me before. I try so hard to wake up and can't. Doesn't happen often though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShireeCS
by Shiree on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I don't have that but my hand kinda paralyze I can't hold them up on my own or move my fingers it's painful too
Night_Roane
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I have sleep paralysis. Ill dream that Im trying to wake up, but I can't move from the bed and usually the room is blurry. It'll cycle over and over... Me waking up, trying to get up, realizing its a dream and trying again ... I don't know how long it goes on, but sometimes it feels like an hour or more.
Apparently it happens when you realize you're sleeping before your REM cycle ends (for me it happens more when I feel like I need to be awake to do something)
The only way for me to snap out of it is to identify something from the real world - I have to be touched or hear a sound. I read that sleeping with a nightlight helps your body differentiate between the real world and the dream state - it helps to jar you into being awake by giving you a real-world sense to connect with, and helps to prevent night paralysis sensations. I started trying it in January, after I was suffering pretty frequently. It works - I can only remember one episode since then.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)