Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

The Chilling Drowning Video Every Parent Needs to See (VIDEO)

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 10 Replies

The Chilling Drowning Video Every Parent Needs to See (VIDEO)

by Julie Ryan Evans

wave poolOf all the videos that get passed around and shared on the Internet, this one, which has recently gone viral, is a true must see, especially for parents. In it you see a crowded wave pool, with kids splashing and having fun. A few seconds in, a child starts drowning, but it isn't until a lifeguard jumps in and rescues her that your attention is even drawn to the drowning child.

It's chilling because it's so easy to overlook this struggling child. There's so much action and commotion all around, that nobody seems to notice. Thankfully the lifeguard does, but it's a scene that could and does play out more tragically in pools and other bodies of water everywhere.

I was at a crowded water park the other day with a lazy river, wave pools, slides, and all the usual fun water activities. There were so many people, and so much activity that such a scene would be easy to miss even if you were nearby. According to an article on Slate, of the approximately 750 children who die in a year of drowning, about 375 of them do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult.

The video was uploaded to YouTube as part of training for lifeguards, but it's such a vital example for all parents to watch. While lifeguards are invaluable, they simply can't see everything going on and aren't always there, so we all should know what the signs of drowning look like. Here's a great article that describes four signs of drowning, which coupled with this video really makes you rethink what you thought you knew about people drowning.

Watch it. Share it. And the next time you're near water, remember it.

Have you ever seen a child drowning? Were you able to spot the child drowning in this video?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeAmour
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I saw her right off the bat but I'm water and l'm trained in that area. It's not as dramatic as movies make it out to be. Hopefully those who don't truly know the signs of drowning watch this.
TattedReader
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM
It was pretty obvious to me right off the bat
CmC1307
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I saw her right away too but still scary

MommyMartinie
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Why would I want to see that? Thats terrible to share.

rmfanfgljf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM

how is it terrible?? Had you actually watched the video you would see that the little girl who was drowning was also saved and is ok.

Quoting MommyMartinie:

SweetPea2004
by Natalia on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I noticed her right away

MommyMartinie
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I did end up watching it, after I saw that she was ok. Otherwise I wouldn't have watched, for all I knew a girl could have died and I don't want to see that. 

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

how is it terrible?? Had you actually watched the video you would see that the little girl who was drowning was also saved and is ok.

Quoting MommyMartinie:

uvallekm
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:41 AM

That is ridiculous! Why would any parent even allow a child to float around ALONE knowing they do not know how to swim?? SMDH!!!! That is just completely irresponsible!

luvmybug
by Amanda on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I saw her right away. But it shows just how quickly it can happen, especially when the pool is filled with kids splashing around and playing. I'm glad the lifeguard got to her before she lost energy and went under. Then she would've been been stuck under the others in the inner tubes, and nearly impossible to see.
mama-smurf
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Didn't notice her but probably because phone cut off the video.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN