Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Birth Control Vs. Permanent Methods

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am 21, my husband is 22 and we are expecting our second child. We have a 9 month old and I am 4 months pregnant with this one, so they will be about 14 months apart.

My husband feels that we are done with two so we will be using birth control of some form. I've never used it before, it kind of makes me nervous actually, plus I will be breastfeeding this baby also so I have to be careful of what methods I use. My husband has gone as far as to say he is willing to get a vasectomy. While I agree with him right now that we are done with just the two, I feel like we are too young to make a permanent decision regarding that.

He and I have been together since we were 14 and are each others' one and only. We have discussed this quite a bit, but I still feel like I'm making a blind decision since I have no experience with any form of it. Details on what type you use and the side-affects you've had from it would be great. Also-- I know a pill form will not work for me. There is no way I will remember to take a pill at the same time every day. So unless there's a monthly/weekly one, that won't work for me. I'm hoping there is some sort of injection or device or something that I won't have to think about all the time but won't affect my milk supply and hopefully won't make me too moody-- but that might be too much to ask for.

Anyway, any opinions/advice you all have to offer would be appreciated. Oh, and the one device I DO have a lot of feedback from is the ParaGard of which I've heard nothing but scary stories of cramping and bleeding.

Update: Thanks for all the info so far. I'm interested in the depo now... I think I would prefer a shot over having something inserted. Anymore opinions on the depo? I do know that it can take a really long time to work out of your system if we ever decided to have another baby but I'm not really worried about that... we really do feel like we are done at this point but want to have the option in the distant future if we happen to change our minds.

groombridebaby girlstork

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sblynch05
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM

i have mirena...its an inplant up into you uterus and in your tubes...ive had it since my youngest was 6 weeks old...it never affected my supply....i have had only 3 periods in the last year and havent had one since january. the only side effects that i have are cramps around the time when i would have a period.....and its good for 5 years....

SB2217
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM
I did bc pills (YAZ) when DH and I started dating. it made mr crazy (crazy mood swings, cramping, etc) so I stopped and did only condoms. After we had our first I had a mirena IUD put it. It was horrible too. Had it for 6 months until it was too much for me.
Im too sensitive to hormones plus I have a lot of cancer history in my family so im not willing to risk being on BC. DH had a vasectomy about a month ago. We have 3 kids and although he wasnt too sure about the vasectomy because he still wants a boy (we have all girls). we felt it was the best choice. Im only 24 so everyone tells us we'll regret doing something permanent because we are young (well, dh is 29 so I guess not that young!) but we wanted 3 kids and we got them. we (well, mainly me) dont want to risk having an unplanned baby.
if years down the road we decide to try again, he can always have it reversed or have sperm taken out and do IVF (since the guy keeps making sperm, it just doesnt come out)

Mariah-1987
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM
mirena is a good one. it is a iud and can be placed for up to 5 yrs. i had placed 6 months after my 2nd baby. i dont know about 6 wks. doc told me my uterus needed 6 months to be considered back to normal.
Ber-Lynn
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM
My husband is getting snipped before the end of this year. We have one child and are done. Our daughter is 3 and we still fill this way. We have been using condoms and I track when I'm ovulating and we avoid sex altogether then.
I don't trust the pill because well that is how our daughter got here lol.

I didn't want to use anything with hormones.
mommykate4
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I have implanion implant my arm. I don't have a period and IM breastfeeding.it's good for three years. I was 26 when I had my 4 th child and wasn't ready to do anything permanent so this is giving me time to think
ffpm10
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM
He got snipped after two, and we couldn't be happier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberlavine
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I am almost 26, SO is 27. We have 2 kids almost 3 and 7 weeks. I Just got the Depo shot since I cant remember to take a birth control pill everyday and the IUD scares me... The depo is every 3 months and safe for breastfeeding I just cant say much for side effects since its only been a few days! 

We'd talked about permanent solutions but I asked him seriously if he never wanted to have anymore children and we both couldn't give a 100% yes we are done. 5 years down the road we may want to try again. 

Good luck though, I hope you find something that works for you :) and congrats!!

augelrf
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Thanks for all the info so far. I'm interested in the depo now... I think I would prefer a shot over having something inserted. Anymore opinions on the depo? I do know that it can take a really long time to work out of your system if we ever decided to have another baby but I'm not really worried about that... we really do feel like we are done at this point but want to have the option in the distant future if we happen to change our minds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)