Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

MC questions (sensitive topic) :(

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 17 Replies

Yesterday at 1am I started spotting bright red blood. Not a lot but enough to make me panic. So Dh and I went to the ER I thought just to ease my mind. This had never happened when I was pregnant with my daughter.
After peeing in a cup, having 4 vials of blood drawn and a ultrasound we found out that the baby had passed away at about 7weeks (I'm currently 10wks)
They gave me a sheet of paper, a rogaime shot and sent me home.
I went in yesterday at 1pm and saw my midwife. She hugged me and gave me my options. I could 1. Let nature take its course 2. Take Cytotec 3. Schedule a DNC.
I chose to try the natural route but agreed that if nothing happens by next Wednesday I would consider other options.

While at the hospital the spotting stop and right now my abdomen is just sore. I don't know what is going on :(

I feel like I'm going to fly into a million pieces. I am sad, angry, infuriated, and a hundred other emotions.
My 4yr old daughter is so sad about not having a baby anymore its breaking my heart

Would anyone share their stories with me?
Has anyone gone the natural route?
I'm scared of a DNC. Is it really bad?
How else did you handle it?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtotwo08
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I'm sorry for your loss! When I went to the dr 2 weeks ago (I was 8 weeks) it didn't look good. There was no heartbeat and the embryo was measuring too small. Two weeks later and 2 more ultrasounds everything was the same. My dr told me that it could take up to 4 weeks to pass it on my own and that the medicine they give makes you go into labor and is pretty painful. He suggested a D & C bc it would be quick and simple and he would get the majority of the blood out rather it taking longer the natural way. This morning I had it done. They gave me an iv and a Zantac (to help prevent vomiting which I did not). Took me in the OR and started the anestha. I woke up in recovery and had no pain and very little bleeding. When I woke up I just cried bc it was so real. They let me leave soon after. I've been in bed resting all day with some cramping and minimal bleeding. The emotional part is harder than any of it. I have a 2 and 5 yo that I had to explain this to (2 yo not so much). But I just told my oldest that Jesus needed the baby in heaven and he/she will always be looking over us and when the time is right mama will have a healthy baby. Good luck with your decision and again I'm so sorry!!
TimeKat
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss, too! I'm scared of surgery but I'm thinking is nothing happens by Wednesday I might just schedule the surgery since my Dh has that day off. I've been crying all day.

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I know it couldn't have been easy. I am so sorry for your loss again :( hugs

Quoting momtotwo08:

I'm sorry for your loss! When I went to the dr 2 weeks ago (I was 8 weeks) it didn't look good. There was no heartbeat and the embryo was measuring too small. Two weeks later and 2 more ultrasounds everything was the same. My dr told me that it could take up to 4 weeks to pass it on my own and that the medicine they give makes you go into labor and is pretty painful. He suggested a D & C bc it would be quick and simple and he would get the majority of the blood out rather it taking longer the natural way. This morning I had it done. They gave me an iv and a Zantac (to help prevent vomiting which I did not). Took me in the OR and started the anestha. I woke up in recovery and had no pain and very little bleeding. When I woke up I just cried bc it was so real. They let me leave soon after. I've been in bed resting all day with some cramping and minimal bleeding. The emotional part is harder than any of it. I have a 2 and 5 yo that I had to explain this to (2 yo not so much). But I just told my oldest that Jesus needed the baby in heaven and he/she will always be looking over us and when the time is right mama will have a healthy baby. Good luck with your decision and again I'm so sorry!!

ms.keisha17
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Back in 2010 i was pregnant and i went to my 10 week appointment to hear the baby heart beat but the dr couldn't find it she said the baby is on it's side or something is wrong so i was nervous as hell soo when i was 11 weeks i wok up with a lil bit of spotting dh took me to the hospital and i was bleeding more and more and the er gave me a ultrasound and the lady said u lost the baby she did see a sack or nothing everything was just gone and i had to go see another dr to see if i needed a dnc and which i never needed i don't even know what a dnc is but thank God i never had one. Soo that's my story my first mc. I think i been lost the baby before 10 weeks i was soo excited for my 12 week ultrasound but i never made it. We are ttc #3 and I'm so nervous to get pregnant i just hope everything works out this time and best of luck to you.
MRS.POWELL
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I have been through it 4 times, 3 natural and one started natural ended in a D&C. I'd be concerned with the tender belly because that's a sign of infection.

I had a D&E and it was honestly not that bad in terms of recovery.

Feel free to ask any questions.
ms.keisha17
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Quoting ms.keisha17:

Back in 2010 i was pregnant and i went to my 10 week appointment to hear the baby heart beat but the dr couldn't find it she said the baby is on it's side or something is wrong so i was nervous as hell soo when i was 11 weeks i woke up with a lil bit of spotting dh took me to the hospital and i was bleeding more and more and the er gave me a ultrasound and the lady said u lost the baby she didnt see a sack or nothing everything was just gone and i had to go see another dr to see if i needed a dnc and which i never needed i don't even know what a dnc is but thank God i never had one. Soo that's my story my first mc. I think i been lost the baby before 10 weeks i was soo excited for my 12 week ultrasound but i never made it. We are ttc #3 and I'm so nervous to get pregnant i just hope everything works out this time and best of luck to you.

MRS.POWELL
littlecheifsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I'm so sorry about your loss.

D&c Arnt to bad, I needed 4 days rest then was bk to life

I've had cyotec with the induction of my 2nd born & I do not recommend it. Very very painful but helped put me in labor.

Id go the natural route unless ur body or u personally want to have everything done.
erin708
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I'm a surrogate and our last attempt ended with no baby growing. I stopped my fertility meds last thurs and started bleeding sat but it wasn't heavy. I went for labs yest and my hcg has actually gone up. So I'm scheduled Monday for a d&e. I tried letting it happen naturally but afraid to let it go much longer. Its a very hard decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TimeKat
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I didn't know that was a sign of infection. When I told my midwife about she brushed it off :/ I'll call on Monday if I still have it

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I'm sorry for your loss. I have been through it 4 times, 3 natural and one started natural ended in a D&C. I'd be concerned with the tender belly because that's a sign of infection.

Amber5151
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I waited two Weeks for it to start naturally. Longest two Weeks of my life. Then I miscarried naturally and it was rough but it was what I wanted. I then got an infection and had to have a d&c anyways. I still preferred the natural route. I immediately went the surgical route with my first and didn't get the closure that the natural route gave me
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM
It could just be your body but tender to the touch is infection sign. I had a tender tummy with my last which also resulted in the D&E. I lost baby at 13ish weeks and found out at 17 so 4 weeks in.

Quoting TimeKat:

I didn't know that was a sign of infection. When I told my midwife about she brushed it off :/ I'll call on Monday if I still have it

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN