Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I will not tell my DD that Santa is real.

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM
  • 26 Replies

We will tell her about him, and all the stories, but we are going to tell her right away that he is not real. That way she doesn't go through that situation where someone tells her and breaks her heart. Likewise we will not encourage believing in the easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc. 

So, begin telling me how mean I am now.

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rozenshyao
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually It's entirely up to you. I dont think it's mean. 

MommyMartinie
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Bumpity Bump
esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I think by the time more kids are figuring out that Santa Clause and the others aren't real, they are nature enough to handle the news. I've never heard of a kid being completely devastated to hear the news. Its a fun moment in your child's life. It comes and goes so quickly that it is unlikely to make a life changing impact on the kid one way or another.
What do you plan to tell your kid so she isn't the one running to the playground or school telling all of the other kids that he/they aren't real?
Are you a religious person? How do you distinguish between fantasy characters and biblical characters?
esox
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Not judging, just throwing some extra questions out there. I have a few family members that have gone the same route.
brysonsmommy_10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't make you mean.  For me, I just love how excited ds gets at the thought of Santa bringing him a present.  When he is older I doubt he'll remember being upset at finding out the truth, but I can almost guarantee he will remember all of the special memories we created.  I also hope that he realizes the effort dh and I put in to making Christmas magical for him.

scarmechel
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Agreed, I like when my kids have imagination and think that Santa is coming on the roof top and here the excited giigles and excited about the tooth fairy because there is nothing fun about loosing a tooth but that. lol I agree with you.

Quoting brysonsmommy_10:

It doesn't make you mean.  For me, I just love how excited ds gets at the thought of Santa bringing him a present.  When he is older I doubt he'll remember being upset at finding out the truth, but I can almost guarantee he will remember all of the special memories we created.  I also hope that he realizes the effort dh and I put in to making Christmas magical for him.

FoxTales
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM
We aren't encouraging or discouraging it... Our kids will have stockings and the gifts in there don't get tags, so if they want to think it is from Santa, then sure, they can. But if they ask, we will tell them right away. The tooth fairy... I think kids figure that out pretty quick. A lot faster than Santa Claus. We will do the switch under the pillow and the fun games, but if they ever ask "but is she reaaaally real?" our answer will be no, but it is a fun game. I don't see the harm in playing with it, but I'm not going to tell them any of the fantasy characters are real. I know some people still try to insist to their teenagers that Santa exists :P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShireeCS
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I am going to start talking about Santa this year how he inst real. She is 8 still believes but is in a 4th grade class so I dont want someone to say something to her.

wolfybaby
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:28 AM

i didnt really take well to being lied to. i could have enjoyed the holidays just the same knowing that santa and the easter bunny were not real. 

there is enough real magic in the world to light up childrens imaginations. 

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I still think he is very real but it is more of in spirit than a person.  Why else would various places have secret santas for church or employees at a business?   When/if dd finds out that he died many years ago, she will become part of the club that keeps the magic alive for the younger children.  She knows the santas and easter bunnys she sees at mall are THE santa and easter bunny but their helpers.   She truely believes she got to meet cinderella around easter this year and i wont knock that belief either.  We were not at any disney franchises by the way when she met Cinderella.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN